Question about water and dairy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
I understand that to add things like aloe juice, coconut water or milk that the amount comes out of the water amount. Are there any liquids that don’t survive lye? I’m not planning on fruit juices. Any one in particular that accelerates trace?

Also why do we freeze dairy products before using? Will they thaw in the lye, or do you thaw it before using it??

Milks can scorch once the lye is added, due to the temperature reached with the chemical reaction. I always freeze half of my water into ice cubes before making the lye water just so it doesn't overheat. They are defrosted within seconds of adding the lye.

I understand that to add things like aloe juice, coconut water or milk that the amount comes out of the water amount. Are there any liquids that don’t survive lye? I’m not planning on fruit juices. Any one in particular that accelerates trace?

Also why do we freeze dairy products before using? Will they thaw in the lye, or do you thaw it before using it??
You didn't mention vinegar as a liquid, but it will give you a harder bar and also eat up some lye, increasing your superfat (you can adjust for that by multiplying the amount of vinegar by .0357 to get the extra amount of lye you need) . It doesn't make the soap smell funny either, which is nice.
Any liquid with sugars in it (juice, milks, ect) is prone to get very hot when reacting with the lye and can burn in the solution. By freezing your liquid then adding lye, it lowers the temp to a point it probably won't burn as it melts.

Last edited:
Are there any liquids that don’t survive lye?
I don't understand what you are asking here? Do you mean the benefits of the liquid, the color, etc? Either way, very little will survive saponification as far as benefits, and most times when using a the liquid content for colorant, it will go brown. (Not always, but most times)

If you could clarify what you mean here, we could probably help more.
KiwiMoose explained the milk and why it's used frozen or cold. A lot of people here do the split method for using milks (you can search the term and get lots of hits for more information)

Most liquids that are not water, will accelerate trace when using. It will also depend on your concentration and other factors as well..

Thanks! That’s just what I wanted to know! Watching lots of videos, but this forum is incredibly helpful. I am such a beginner!

I have only been experimenting with water substitutes a couple times but when I have been successful with not scorching or freezing by simply dividing the water amount and adding lye to one portion as water and the other portion of substitute ( milk beer wine cream) to the oils. Trace is when I see is the most recommended time

I have only been experimenting with water substitutes a couple times but when I have been successful with not scorching or freezing by simply dividing the water amount and adding lye to one portion as water and the other portion of substitute ( milk beer wine cream) to the oils. Trace is when I see is the most recommended time
^this is the split method that jcandleattic mentioned.

This is the split method I was talking about.

Back