Question about using Vitamin E.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
I just started using Vitamin E in my batches at trace. I am using the little pills you buy at Wal Mart. I weigh my FO and add the Vit. E to the FO and add at trace...

QUESTION! HOW many should I add per pound of oils and is there an easy way to get the oil out of the "skin"??

Thank you!!!

Lane,
I bought some at GNC and it was pure vitamin E oil (32000 IU) for $9.99 (one oz) $$$
Noticed that K-Mart has 1oz for 6.99 (forget the IU amount, but it was lower)
I think you can get it cheaper in bulk, if you want.
The gel caps are cheap, but a pain for me at least!
Jeff

Not trying to post steal here, but what are the benefits of using vit e? Does it make a nicer soap?

if you look in the vitamin section at Wallmart you can find a 2oz. bottle of liquid (12000 I.U.) so much easier to use. You can also find it in liquid form at Riteaid and Krogers, atleast around here.
I use an oz per lb in about all the soap I've made , not sure if thats enough but it does 2 things , as an antioxidant it increases the soap shelf life and is very good for your skin.
I treat alot of sick animals that we have taken in over the years and Vitamin E is number one on my list of ingredients for skin irritations. I have a cat now that I've been using a mixture of cocoa butter, Shea butter, Glycerin and Vitamin E and it is doing wonders where the stuff from the stores did nothing.
dont know if that helped but I hope it did in some small way.

" Making a cleaner world one bar at a time"

Thanks everyone! I think I will have to get the all liquid kind next time....

Has anyone noticed Vit. E changing the color of their soap? I get kind of a pink layer on the top of my soap now... It's very faint and not a big deal... I'm just wondering if anyone else has noticed this in their soaps?

seo,

It is good for label apeal too. You could probably boost your sales volumn by advertising handmade soap with added vitamin e.

Thanks! Good to know! I've seen some soaps with this on the label. I might have to give that a try!

Thanks for posting about where to find the liquid. I can't imagine squeezing all those pills would be much fun!

Tabitha said:
seo,

It is good for label apeal too. You could probably boost your sales volumn by advertising handmade soap with added vitamin e.

I ordered some of this today to check it out.. Look at the price and the shipping was .85. (30,000 iu 2.5 oz 2.68 )

PP000810_R_H190W000.jpg

http://www.puritansale.com/pages/file.asp?xs=8EDDB55A366C46F2A425DCC178909586&PID=797&CPID=166&np=1

Neil, thanks for posting! Not just for the vit e, but the website has a lot of nifty things to try! I'm going to place my order now!

Thanks!!

Neil that is a good price. I buy the natural T-50 from a few online suppliers, but that is a great price. I'll order some also. I don't use anywhere close to that much. I use about a capful to a 1/2 gallon jug of oils to help prevent rancidity and then about 7 to 10 drops PPO to each recipe. It is really great for the skin. Thanks again got the link to Puritan's Pride. :)

Paul

I'm confused. If you add 1 ounce Vit E per pound of oils, does this change the amt of water/lye you would use for a recipe?

1 ounce Vit E per pound seems like a lot to me.

Brain: I add about 12,000 IU per pound(3oz. bar=4,000IU)(which isnt very much per usage of hand washing) and yes I off set the water or Discount it by the fluid amounts I use at trace. This is not a rule it is only a practice some use and some don’t. If you are using Vit E in soap for the antioxidant effects on the skin then 1 oz per pound isn’t much considering it’s recommended to be used in full strength on the skin in most cases, If you are using it for the fight against DOS and oxidation of the oils retained after Saponification so it will not go rancid then again 1 oz isn’t very much. this bar below only uses 1500iu/3.25oz (roughly 7400 iu per pound) of soap that seems pretty low. I am by far no expert on soap I have made 21 batches to date. I learn from others, from research and from experience. If you find some information please share it with me so we all can learn together and I will do the same for you.
this is a comercial bar of Vit e soap:

PP000850_R_H190W000.jpg

it says:Each (3 1/4) ounce bar contains (1500 I.U.) of vitamin E PLUS vitamins A and D, lanolin, aloe, cocoa butter and allantoin.

Enjoy the moisturizing benefits of our pure E-Oil. This natural Vitamin E Oil, in a base of natural vegetable oils~
Other Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Corn Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Sesame Oil, Lemon Oil.
Wonder what % is pure Tocopherol?

well its 30,000 IU per 2.5 oz so thats pretty good. The stuf I get from walmart is 12,000 IU per 2 oz. and it uses cocnut and soybean oil as a carrier and it's about 4 times the price per IU.

Back