Question about using ice cubes as lye water.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luebella

Reaction score
I normally use ice cubes for my lye water. It's about 75 degrees and I mix it into oils around 110 to 100 degrees. This has worked. Well for my regular cp recipe. Today I did that with full coconut oil recipe and it seemed to make a few chunks of coconut oil when mixing. I'm guessing since it was cool water. It also took a lot. Longer to reach a light trace than usual. Do you think this will turn out alright? Soap is so interesting!

Maybe it's just me but since coconut oil is a solid at temps lower than 76, I would have probably used a different approach. Were there still chunks of solid oil at trace?

Yah I should have thought of that for sure! Not really just tiny little particles here and there

No I'm not gelling it. I leave it out in small silicone shape molds so those never gel

You'll need to wait until you can unmold and the zap test it. If there's no zap it should be okay. Likely just small chunks of CO. I wouldn't do that again. I just use room temp water to mix my lye if I don't have any masterbatched. You can put it in an ice bath if in a hurry, it doesn't take that long.

Wow I never heard of that method efficacious! Does it speed up trace?

Have you thought of the heat transfer method? Make your lye solution with normal water and dissolve the lye. Pour the hot solution over your solid oils and mix until the oils are melted by the heat of the lye. Add in your liquid oils and away you go

My personal favorite since I have no patience.

This is my go-to method during the warm months of the year. Down here in Texas (and Louisiana), that is about 7-8 months of the year. I find that I need to melt my solid oils during the winter. The house is just a tad too cool, especially as I use so much lard.

This is my go-to method during the warm months of the year. Down here in Texas (and Louisiana), that is about 7-8 months of the year. I find that I need to melt my solid oils during the winter. The house is just a tad too cool, especially as I use so much lard.

I'm in Texas too, so.I may try this :)

Back