Question about using brewed coffee in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made an 8 lb hot process coffee soap with strong brewed coffee for all the liquid to add my lye to. After the cook, I separated out two lbs and added 6 tbsp cocoa, 10 ml coffee essential oil and 10 ml vanilla oleoresin for scent, then did an in the pot swirl. I did use the grounds in the whole soap (1 tbsp per lb of oil) and called it a gardener's soap. The coffee grounds (as we normally grind them to make our morning coffee) made the soap too scratchy for full body or facial use. It really is great for dirty hands or bottoms of feet though! There's also 9% cocoa butter in that soap. So somehow between the two scents and the cocoa butter, my husband thinks he smells chocolate in that soap, but I think it's the power of suggestion when he sees it. It looks like fudge! And the 2 lbs I swirled in the pot actually have a slightly lighter brown color--more like milk chocolate.

When i use cocoa butter and cocoa powder i can smell chocolate, so i think is not only the power of suggestion!

Latest posts

Back