Question about soap molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Healinya

Reaction score
I've made about five or six batches of soap so far - and I've learned that I just don't like the plastic milky way soap molds. I am wondering what the best kind of mold is. I'm looking for a long tub style - 4" width and 12-24" length. What kind (metal, plastic, wood) would be the best, how do you properly insulate it (I have only been pouring single bars before - don't know if the mass of the soap log affects the cooling/curing time) and also - a recommendation of where to aquire it. Any help would be appreciated.

I make high quality soap molds, cutters, bevelers and other soap related tools. Many of our members have bought from me. Been making wood soap molds with tops for over 3 years now.

TOG1224SlabHDPEAll003-1.jpg

GreenIrishTweedHPed003.jpg

DSCF3143.jpg

Click here; www.togsoapmolds.etsy.com

Paul :wink:

I recognize that last picture. That's my chicken enchalada casserole recipe. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hi Paul,

Me again, just wondering something about that top mold that you showed. Is each cavity just for one bar, or do they make a sort of mini-log that you need to cut a few times?? I read the description of it in your etsy store and couldn't quite figure it out.............

A newbie style explaination would be greatly appreciated.

thanx oodles,

Della :D

PS~~refreshingly free (well almost) of yellow smiley faces!! :p

Paul - Is it the photo angle or are those square bars? :D

Della - Pour the slab in dersired thickness, then slide the insert in. When you remove the soap, it is in individual bars. No cutting unless you want them smaller.

Healinya - For round soap, I use a piece of PVC pipe I got at Lowes. You can find it at most any hardware store. I line mine with freezer paper, but many do not. Your preference.

Digit

digit said:
Healinya - For round soap, I use a piece of PVC pipe I got at Lowes. You can find it at most any hardware store. I line mine with freezer paper, but many do not. Your preference.
I was at OSH today and discovered 3" diameter ABS in 12" lengths. I bought one for a cute baby pipe mold. About $1.30 each, and $3.70 for the flexible rubber test cap, little more than $5 plus tax for the full set. And far better than a milk carton I might add...

I'm going to try petroleum jelly as a release agent next time I do round soap.

beadella said:
Hi Paul,

Me again, just wondering something about that top mold that you showed. Is each cavity just for one bar, or do they make a sort of mini-log that you need to cut a few times?? I read the description of it in your etsy store and couldn't quite figure it out.............

A newbie style explaination would be greatly appreciated.

thanx oodles,

Della :D

PS~~refreshingly free (well almost) of yellow smiley faces!! :p

Hi Della! Yes, each cavity is a bar of soap. They are rectangle, with a measurement of 2-1/2" wide, 3-1/2" long, and you can pour up to 2-1/2 inches thick. With this slab mold, you can get beautiful swirls and perfect sized bars with no cutting! 8)

Hi Digit! :D It is the angle, here is a better shot;

slab12.jpg

TOG1224SlabHDPEAll007-1.jpg

My big 20 bar slab mold with dividers
DSCF3202.jpg

These are 2 of my best selling molds.

Paul :wink:

I have one of these molds. Mine does 12 bars!!! Don't know how I made it without it!!! Pauls molds are the best in the world, I have done MP and CP in these molds. No problems with either one!!

dragonfly princess said:
I have one of these molds. Mine does 12 bars!!! Don't know how I made it without it!!! Pauls molds are the best in the world, I have done MP and CP in these molds. No problems with either one!!

OK, DFP, you know that flattery will get you.....whatever you want baby! :lol: :lol: :D

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
[quote="dragonfly princess":qevkgfg5]I have one of these molds. Mine does 12 bars!!! Don't know how I made it without it!!! Pauls molds are the best in the world, I have done MP and CP in these molds. No problems with either one!!

OK, DFP, you know that flattery will get you.....whatever you want baby! :lol: :lol: :D

Paul[/quote:qevkgfg5]

Oh yes, that is why I do it sweety!!!!

dragonfly princess said:

Me too, me too!!! Oh wait, mine does 9. Custom order. Yep, Paul IS the bestest!! Really works with you to meet your needs. His molds are fabulous.

Dragonfly - LOVE the avitar!!! :lol: :lol:

Digit

Healinya said:
Wow, those are really nice. I had been window shopping the "real" molds (not the $4 ones) for awhile now.. never noticed ones like you make.. They look perfect. I will definately be planning exactly what kind I want. Thanks so much for the responses.

You can't go wrong with Paul's molds. They are wonderful and less $$ than other wood molds I have seen.

I love the 10" dual log/slab mold. Don't see it listed at the moment. You can make 1 or 2 - 2# logs or a slab. The beveler/planer dresses up the bars very nice. Warning - you will want more. :lol:

Digit

Well, I sure did take awhile making up my mind. But I did just buy one of your molds. I'm so excited. Thanks again:)

Back