Question About Scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athena Harmon

Reaction score
So I've not used scents or essential oils ever. My soaps have always smelled like whatever I use to make them (hot process btw) What if I want to use different scents but in one batch. Like, could I separate half the soap and like mix in whatever oil/fragrance and then mix in a different oil/fragrance to the other half?
Hope that makes sense.

Yes- you can do that! It's actually one of my favorite things to do with scents that I think would go good together, but am too afraid to blend them into one scent. Instead of blending them, I just split my soap batter in half and add scent #1 one to one half, and add scent #2 to the other half, then I layer each half into my mold.

IrishLass :)

I've done the same Athena! But instead of layering like IrishLass, I created a separator of sorts. I cut a piece of cardboard that fit vertically in the mold (basically cut the mold in half) then covered it with packing tape. I made the soap batter then split it in half, scented each portion, then poured on each side of the cardboard. What I ended up with is a bar right in the middle that had both scents. The rest of the bars were the single scent I poured. That way I knew I'd at least have scents I liked on their own then got to enjoy (or hate, lol) the blended bar in the middle. I hope that description of my process makes sense to you!

Back