Question about Salt Bars...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinahSea

Reaction score
Hello,
I want to try to make a salt bar, but I'm a little confused.
I think I've found a pretty good recipe with 80% Coconut and equal amount salt... seems pretty basic, but I can't figure out the Lye. Should I run everything through SoapCalc like normal and just add the salt when making it, or is there a formula? I've looked all over, but nobody says what to do with the lye. They are mostly concerned about the % coconut and salt.

Just make your soap as you would normally. Use soapcalc, add your lye mixture to coconut, at trace add the salt. You'll also want a high superfat- at least 10% but maybe up to 20%.

Oh, perfect! Thank you both for your help :) !! I am really excited to make these salt bars... just received a box from Nature's Garden and can't wait to get started!! I don't have the recipe at hand, but I believe it's 30% superfat.

I just made my first salt bars on Wednesday and they came out great, I did CO at 20% SF and 60% salt and was able to swirl and cut 1 1/2 hrs later.

I usually do 18-20% super fat and I pour into a silicone tray with individual cavities, that way you don't have to stress about cutting them when they are still hot. I like the Bramble Berry round and square silicone molds.

I am going to attempt my salt bars this weekend. I have indiv silicone molds and intend to use NG Butt Naked. Weird that they set up so quickly. Any suggestions how long to cure them? I typically cure my normal CP soaps about 2 months.

What n why salt bars?

I have been tooooo busy to spend much time on the forum for a few months. Now, here I am. Saw this thread and I ask .... what is a 'salt bar', or ... why does one make soap with added salt? Studying my chemistry, the soap itself is technically a 'salt' (the product of a chemical reaction of acid and base). What does the added salt do/add to the soap? What special qualities does it give?

Salt makes a bar harder and gives that spa appeal. It does not exfoliate as it melts when water hits it. But certain salts do help the skin some like sea salt. You might want to read up on it Parke Co Grapevine as there are many threads here on it.

I personally do not superfat to 20% on my salt bars and they are not all CO either. I just add salt to my normal formula and up superfat to like 8%. Works for me.

I use a 20% superfat and cure them the same as regular soap, 6 weeks if I can..

I didn't like my salt bars much at all after the standard 6 week cure. After 3-4 months, though, I LOVE them. It's amazing the difference a little extra time makes.

Have not found a salt bar I did not like. They are so very healing for my eczema. Do remember the reason for the high CO is the fact that 100% coconut oil soap is the only soap that lathers in salt water. Salt negates lather. I always use 75% CO and superfat at 20%. If I make one of my low salt bars I superfat accordingly. Salt bars are my friend! Also from what I have read salt water does naturally exfoliate the outer layer of skin

Back