Question about running colours

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pockykai

Reaction score
This may sound stupid. But honestly i have no idea lol.

Essentially I've been practising with Melt and Pour for a bit now and made a few soaps, when when I've used them the colour tends to turn my water the same colour. Now granted it just seams to be the blue that the main offender at the moment. (I mean I've had a peach run slightly too but I've used blue much more so I've noticed it more)

So yeah I was just wondering is this something that happens usually, As I've never owned any coloured soap before to know honestly, Or is this me putting too much colourant to the soap when I'm making it?

I'd start with trying to use less colorant, but there could be other factors involved.

What sort of colorants do you use and where do you get them from? Many suppliers will state in their descriptions of a colorant runs. If the supplier doesn't mention it a review usually will. In personal experience I've never had micas bleed color but I think I've had lab colors run in m&p (and if you happen to use brambleberry's labomb colors in m&p they seem to get everywhere but end up washing off).

Sorry for the delayed reply. So I use these colorants though the ones I recived were in powder form but these are Deffo the ones I bought. I just add water to the powered ones. http://www.soaposh.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=101_181_134

I've noticed they do have a section for non running colourants, though limited, it's still there non the less. And I only have 1 mica power a pink one. I've used it before in a soap but it wasn't the only colour.

How much colorant do you add?

I didn't see a useable rate on the site so I would probably add a drop at a time until I got the color I was looking for then keep notes on how the bar performed. It might end up a few drops difference between the color you want and the runny color

Yeah i didn't have droppers when I made the soaps so that could be the problem, ill try again and keep notes to see how well it does :) Thanks for the idea!

You could try using eyeshadows dispersed in oil. Its a cheap option but it never bleeds or runs and plus it's skin safe

Back