Question About Pomace Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoaPetite

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Just wondering if anyone is using pomace olive oil for CP soap. What is the ideal colour for pomace oo? I saw a big bottle of this (5litres) at a food shop but I thought pomace should be dark green..the one I saw was brownish with just a little hint of green. I was going to buy it but I said I'll ask you guys first as I didn't want to buy rancid oil. Is brownish pomace oo okay? Thanks heaps..

yes the oil is ok . if you are getting it from a store then it should be ok. OO can be brownish yellow

I've only used Pomace once and it was kind of a brownish yellow as well. Should be fine. However, some folks say that pomace traces more quickly than regular olive oil. I can't speak to that as it was a long time ago that I used it.

Personally, I avoid pomace OO because it's solvent extracted, and avoiding solvents and other chemicals is one of the reasons I make my own soap & products in the first place. The Italians make most of it, and it's literally illegal to sell in Italy so they ship it elsewhere for consumption. That says everything I need to know. :)

Last edited:
Pomace is actually a bit more conditioning than regular olive oil, and rather more than extra-virgin stuff which is why I reserve EVOO for salads rather than soaping. On the other hand, pomace is solvent-extracted, as last poster pointed out.

Be prepared to work quickly... it accelerates trace for me, very quickly if it's the main oil as in castile/bastile, especially if water is discounted, possibly because of solvents remaining in the oil?

It makes an almond-beige soap, not white, so has coloring issues to work around.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

yes, pomace works, but I personally don't like it in CP soap. it does make the batter trace faster, which isn't great for swirls.....

I use pomace, and I swirl like crazy. For me pomace feels more conditioning in a bar. I do a LOT in fact mostly detailed soaps/cakes and have never had an issue with it tracing too fast unless it was a batch with a naughty scent.

I think you are in the personal choice area, try it out if you like it use it. If not use evoo or another oil. But as for color I think the brownish green is normal

Hmmm, maybe where one buys pomace makes a difference?

Mine traces so fast that I usually don't use a SB with pomace-heavy soaps. Last night I made a castile of 95% pomace and 5% castor with 38% lye solution and 6% SF; it was in the mold in some 10 minutes after stirring in the lye... with a spoon! Good thing I added the colorant and fragrance before the lye. ;)

Jenny

I wonder if temps matter as well, I always soap fairly cool. I get my pomace olive oil from soapers choice.

I use pomace oil and never had a problem with very quick trace. The final colour is ok too, but that 's because the one I use is not that dark (which makes me wonder how original it is, I think it should be darker...) Actually, when I use EVOO my soap comes out a little green, normal as the EVOO I had was quite greener than my po.

And I soap cool as well, this should play a part...

Last edited:
See I have the same experience evoo gives my soap a green tint. Pomace for me always has made a nice white bar. And as for trace I would be interested in what temps this who experience quick trace soap at.

I soap cool as well. When I tried pomace, it definitely traced faster than when I used regular OO. It never seized for me though. I did 2 batches of the same soap, one with OO and one with pomace. The pomace one moved so fast compared to the other I almost wasn't able to complete the design.

I use pomace oo too. I rarely use any other oo. I haven't found it traces any faster, however do feel its a nicer more conditioning bar. I think it may come down to where you buy? I buy from a food supplier and am able to order through friends who run local businesses. Mine is slightly green and can have some sediment-y look to it. I am just looking into which OO is less messed around with as I try to use the rawest "cleanest" forms of everything in my products.

Hmm where did you get your pomace from? There has to be something to this.

i was living in the Caribbean then so it was probably something that was of terrible quality. I have yet to try pomace after moving back to north America mainland, but I'm a little hesitant after my other experience...

Back