Question about older soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I've not been able to make soap for months and months and I miss it plenty. Between work and losing my mom a few weeks ago (which is still an ongoing family crisis sadly), my brain has been toast, so please pardon my question if it's a dumb one.

Anyway, when I moved back in Dec, I had to box all my soaps together in a couple of bigger boxes to move them, and they've been stored that way since. Is there any concerns I should be aware of with doing this? I need to use them now, as I'm running low on soap, but before I do, I want to be sure there isn't some issue I should look out for.

I'm sure if I researched this I could find the answer, and I apologize for taking the lazy way out by asking, but I just don't have the capacity lately to deal with an exhaustive search.

TIA. Appreciate any input.

Hugs and I miss you guys quite a bit.

G

Mostly I've only ever had a problem with the scents leaking into the bars next to them, although I've heard that DOS can actually spread from one bar to the next if you're unfortunate.

eta: I was so tired I forgot to offer my sympathies about your mom ): I'm so sorry to hear, we've had some loss in my family recently as well and you have all of my condolences

Last edited:
I'm happy to hear from you Gigi but so sorry to hear about the loss of your mom. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

I haven't had a problem with DOS appearing in boxed soaps but I have had the scents blend a bit. So I usually try to box similar scents together like fruity in one box, floral in the next, etc. I think you should just stick your hand into one of the boxes and pull out a soap at random. It'll be like a surprise package wondering what you're going to get. :) If you notice any DOS or off smell, then check the rest of the box.

My son has all his different soaps packaged together in storage. He says they are fine that way, and he just gets out a few bars at the time. (We have had discussions about this, trust me!) He lives in New Orleans and does not have climate controlled storage, so heat and humidity galore!

I am so sorry to hear of your loss, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. <hugs>

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about your loss Gigi. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

About your soaps, they might just be fine, mine were when I moved and had to have my soaps in boxes for a couple of months.

Im sorry for your loss :(
You can tell at a glance and a snif if your soap is fine. If it looks good and smells good (or doesn't smell of anything) it should be fine. It might even be better.

I haven`t a lot of input about the storage question, but wanted to convey my sincere sympathy. So sorry for your loss, Gigi.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss Gigi, please accept my heartfelt sympathies.

I have not had to store soaps together for longer than a week so I don't have experience with permanent scent mingling or transfer. The bars that were stored together did have some mingling but they were all wrapped and the mingling faded.

I have had a couple of bars from completely different batches start to develop DOS. One bar was cured but still unwrapped on the curing rack sitting very close (but not touching) the other bars from the batch, none of the other bars developed DOS. The 2nd bar was from a different batch (same recipe, different FO) and was cured, wrapped, and stacked within other wrapped bars from the batch, none of the other bars developed DOS. I hate to waste soap and the DOS spots were very small so I just used the two bars.

So sorry for your loss! There is nothing wrong with storing your soaps that way, except for scents possibly spreading. If a bar feels tacky to the touch and/or smells off, or has yellow spots, it's going rancid. Rancid soap won't hurt you, it just smells yucky.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Having lost my husband late November, I know what you are going through. Sending you a big hug.

Gigi, I'm so sad to hear of you losing your mother. <hugs>

As far as old soaps, I store most of mine all together and the scents fade or mingle a bit. A quick plane to reveal a fresh surface can really help to reawaken the scents and reduce neighborly odor. If you don;t have a planner, just dunk in hot water for a few seconds and let dry, that works a bit too.

Tyvm everyone for the condolences. It's been exhausting and emotional and I'm still dealing with it.

As to the soap, Ty for the feedback. I'll check each carefully for dos.

Hugs

Back