Question about MP embeds in CP soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggooo

Reaction score
Hi! I have a question about melt and pour embeds in cold process soaps. I made some cute holiday soaps this year, but when trying them out, I noticed that the soap right around the embed wore away much faster than the embed and I wound up with holes around the embeds in the middle of the soap. Is there a process to avoid this, or steps that should be taken to minimize this?

Thanks!

This from the SoapQueen blog:
"The melt and pour embeds do need to be created several hours in advance to allow them to cool and harden. We recommend using LCP White Melt and Pour Soap Base when embedding into cold process soap. LCP stands for “like cold process” and refers to melt and pour soap that contains less glycerin. It melts at a slightly higher temperature, which helps prevent some morphing or melting if the soap goes through a hot gel phase. LCP bases are also less likely to develop glycerin dew.

This recipe should be kept cool to prevent the embeds from melting. A slightly lower soaping temperature will also prevent glycerin rivers from forming in the white layer. This recipe does use a 10% water discount to further prevent glycerin rivers. Lower soaping temperatures also help achieve a thicker texture and prevent the soap flowers from melting. If you live in a very hot climate, you’ll probably want to place this soap in the fridge for several hours."

https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/cactus-flower-soap-tutorial/#more-65271

Hi! I have a question about melt and pour embeds in cold process soaps. I made some cute holiday soaps this year, but when trying them out, I noticed that the soap right around the embed wore away much faster than the embed and I wound up with holes around the embeds in the middle of the soap. Is there a process to avoid this, or steps that should be taken to minimize this?

Thanks!
I have not had this issue. I use the LCP type of MP. Some folks prefer to make their embeds with CP batter, if the LCP doesn't work for you.

How long did you cure your final soap?

MP are harder because they've already cured. I have the same problem, but noticed older bars wearing away more evenly. I started adding my micas to MP with a little bit of glycerin, and that has helped a little, not much. I've started just making my own in-soap embeds with CP and save MP for stuff on top or straight MP soaps. I used to only do MP and found it gets more difficult to use the more you wait between purchase and making your project. So now that I'm spending more time on CP, I'll avoid even buying MP unless I have a project lined up. Or my nieces come to vist.

Latest posts

Back