Question about mixing tools...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry S

Reaction score
I have just gotten back into making soap....I just would like to know what most soapers are using these days to mix their CP soap? I noticed David Fisher, soap Guru, uses an immersion blender or what he calls a stick blender. How would you clean it after mixing soap to use in cooking again?? Or would one use it just for making soap? Kind of pricey, just for that. I used to use a wood spoon, but it takes a long time before my soap comes to trace. Has anyone ever used a paint mixer on the end of an electric drill?

Jerry S said:
Has anyone ever used a paint mixer on the end of an electric drill?

Yes, it works fine but that's a very different scale. A cheap blender or stick blender is good for a pound or three but you probably wouldn't use a paint mixer for less than 5 pounds. I had used paint mixers for up to ~30 pounds and it worked great. For larger batches I have a 4 foot whisk and paddle (stainless) 8)

Jerry S said:
How would you clean it after mixing soap to use in cooking again?? Or would one use it just for making soap? Kind of pricey, just for that.

I would never use anything I use for soapmaking for cooking, that includes measures, bowls & scales. I do occasionally bring my soap equipment from my soap kitchen to my regular kitchen and run them through the dishwasher, but even then I don't mix. It's not the lye I'm worried about it's the oil and fragrance/eo that I don't want on my dishes and counters.

I too keep seperate tools for soaping and cooking. I have a stick blender for soaping that cost under $15 new but mostly I use stainless steel whisks. I would never use wood as it could splinter and get into the soap.

I use a stick blender to mix in the beginning. My husband bought 2 new paint mixers and loaned me his drill to use after the soap is cooked. I usually make 5 pound batches and it is difficult to stir in the fragrance and coloring when it is thick. On soap making days, I usually make 2 or 3 batches. I think he was tired of me asking for help.

Jerry S said:
I have just gotten back into making soap....I just would like to know what most soapers are using these days to mix their CP soap? I noticed David Fisher, soap Guru, uses an immersion blender or what he calls a stick blender. How would you clean it after mixing soap to use in cooking again?? Or would one use it just for making soap? Kind of pricey, just for that. I used to use a wood spoon, but it takes a long time before my soap comes to trace. Has anyone ever used a paint mixer on the end of an electric drill?

By hand with plastic/rubber spatulas. I consider it a good arm workout for batches, so far, of up to 3 pounds. I generally do this when I'm in no hurry.

Much larger than that and I'd use my stick blender, though.

So far I stick to batches around a pound plastic spoon used only for soaping. I just dont have room for a SB so I do it by hand.

I don't mix soap equipment with cooking equipment. I once had Awapuhi Seaberry Scrambled Eggs and Patchouly Alfredo Sauce. That was the last time I ever mixed equipment

i bought a stick blender at the used store for 5$, it has lasted over 100 batches of soap and still going. I use sep. tools just for soaping, i have a cottage that i soap in, hubby doesnt like the smells. I use a crock for hp and cp, i wouldnt use it for cooking, no matter how many times i wash it, it still smells like fo.

Andee said:
I don't mix soap equipment with cooking equipment. I once had Awapuhi Seaberry Scrambled Eggs and Patchouly Alfredo Sauce. That was the last time I ever mixed equipment

OMG LOL THAT IS GREAT!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andee said:

ROTFL (with tears streaming down my face) :) :)

51.gif

Latest posts

Back