Question about mixing the lye and oils...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjb31apb

Reaction score
I always wonder when I am reading posts where people talk about how fast their soap hit trace and then they end up glopping the soap into their mold, if it would make more sense to just mix my lye and oils right in the mold if the size permits? So say I had a plastic shoebox mold and a whisk, what would be the reason for NOT mixing them right in there all at once and delete that extra step and dirty bowl?

Well I can think of a few reasons why I personally choose not to do it that way. First is the swirling. I like to do a swirl in the slab by pouring from different heights with coloured base of the traced batter, then using something, like a popsicle stick to make nice swirls. When I do logs, I like to do an in the mixing pot swirl and again pour different directions and from various heights for different effects. Mixing in my slab mold that is really large, and only poured to a depth of 1 to 1 1/8" deep, the mixture might not incorporate fully and have lye pockets. I'll stick to using a clean soap pot then pouring in my mold. That is another reason I love RTCP! :D :D

Paul

Latest posts

Back