Question about master batching oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
So I'm going to make a master batch of oils and I'm wondering ...
Once I melt the hard oils to add to the bucket and mix them together, will the hard oils resolidify in the bucket, requiring I remelt the whole thing and remix before I can pour out my required amount? Or will the liquid oils keep the solids from firming up again?

I'm asking because the answer will determine what I store the master batch in, in case I have to remelt later.

TIA :)

I masterbatched some oils over the winter. It was cold in my soap cave (basement) and it would nearly solidify. Kinda slushy... so I would keep my bucket near the furnace so the ambient heat would keep it liquid. As long as your area is above 76 deg you should be ok.

Good idea, I can store it in the closet with the water heater, that should prevent it from solidifying. I hadn't even considered that.

Yeah, it kind of depends on the % of liquid oils and the temperature where the masterbatch (MB) will be stored. If mostly liquid oils, then your MB is going to stay liquidy in cooler temps. If mostly solid fats, then your MB is more likely to get slushy/pasty or even firm when it's cooler. The MB won't be solid fats in one layer and the liquid fats in a separate layer -- it will be pretty much end up being all one consistency.

Last edited:
DeeAnna - so if it does get a little clumpy, do I have to beat up the entire bucket of masterbatch to incorporate the solids back in? Or can I safety heat up a small portion, add that warm portion back to melt the rest, then pour out the necessary amount for my batch?

I think you can do it either way, Gigi. Whatever is easiest for you. I think you'd need to make sure the master batch blend is well mixed before measuring out portions, but I think either method you suggested will get that job done.

I might give some thought to doing it a little different -- Some people portion their master batch blend into smaller containers that hold just enough MB blend to make a typical batch of soap.

For example, most of my batches are 1500 g of fats. If I were going to do a MB, I'd melt and mix all of my oils together in one big pot, and then I'd weigh out 1500 g portions of this big batch into separate containers. My blend of fats in the containers will be consistent and ready to use, and I won't have to lug around or mess with a big heavy bucket of messy fats.

Just a thought. HTH!

DeeAnna that's a great suggestion. For convenience I'd prefer one big bucket of MB to scoop out of, but if it means I have issues with mixing and reheating, then the smaller batches are better. Ty!

Latest posts

Back