Question about liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to label it as just soap and be exempt from FDA rules for cosmetics, then yes, you've got it right.

From Marie Gale --

"...A true soap is one in which “the bulk of the non-volatile portion consists primarily of an alkali salt salt of fatty acids” (according to the FDA regulations). In other words, it is made with lye and oils.

"...The name of the product, net weight and name and address of the manufacturer, distributor or packager are required on the label; the ingredient declaration is not required.

"In order to be exempt from other labeling requirements, the only claims that can be made about a true soap are that it is soap and that it cleanses. A true soap can become a different type of product if other claims are made about it
...."

Source: Ingredient Labels for Soap - Marie Gale

I have just made liquid soap. I want to thin it for pump bottles, I know I can add same amount of distilled water to the amount of soap. My question is do I have to warm up the water and/or soap? Does it matter whether is it cold or warm?

Whatever you prefer. I don't warm my soap or dilution water but other people swear by warming both. If you do warm the liquid(s), test the thickness of the mixture after the soap is at room temperature, not warm. Warmer soap will be less viscous (not as syrupy) than cooler soap.

Next time, it would be best to not bury your question in a totally unrelated thread, as you have done here. If you start a new thread with a well-written title, you'll get better advice from more people.

Luckily you are there to unbury my question from totally unrelated thread!!!

Back