Question about labels.........again!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenaturalway

Reaction score
OK. I have a question about labels for my b&b products.

I bought waterproof labels but they still smear when wet. I have an idea and want some feedback as far as if anyone thinks this will work.

I'll print my labels, and for color I want to spray them with a pastel sheer spray then I'll spray them with a sealant spray (such as Krylon Preserve-It), hang to dry then spray sealant spray again. Once dried (I'll give it a couple of days) stick onto my containers. This should keep them from smearing if the container gets wet.

I thought about the pastel spray so instead of just white labels, I can spray different sheets with different colors.

What do you think? Will this work?

I do remember that thread. I started it. DUH! I think I will try it out with one sheet and see how it works out. Thanks for pointing me to that thread. I re-read it and will try it out.

sometimes simply 'waterproof' isn't enough ... I get my label stock from Online Labels ( http://www.onlinelabels.com ) , the vinyl weather proof ...they aren't cheap but your product will look professional & stay that way! I have bottles in my shower that look as good as the day I printed them - HTH!

But with the weatherproof labels, is your ink waterproof as well? I have lexmark therefore no waterproof ink will the weatherproof still work?

thenaturalway said:
I thought about the pastel spray so instead of just white labels, I can spray different sheets with different colors.
What is a pastel spray? :?

I spray mine with clear enamel after printing a sheet. I spray once lightly then apply a second light coat. I used to hear clear lacquer, tried that but didn't like the results. The clear enamel works much nicer.

thenaturalway said:
I really like this idea... I have been thinking of a way to spruce up my labels, as I print them myself, when I need them (I have "issues" with bulk/mass production :lol: :lol: ) I've never bought a printer, I take in ones people are throwing away and I fix um up. But I can never bring myself to buy expensive colored ink... :oops: (My apartment is a safe house for old technologies! :lol: )

Anywho... Just a little high jack...Any other ideas on how to jazz up your labels by hand? :D And I still have no clue what this pastel spray is :oops:

Lane said:
Anywho... Just a little high jack...Any other ideas on how to jazz up your labels by hand? :D And I still have no clue what this pastel spray is :oops:

How about stamping? There are so many out there, along with inks and embossing powders. Of course, that would be very time consuming.

I think she means a pastel colored spray paint.

Digit

Lane said:
thenaturalway said:
What is a pastel spray? :?

Lane, just indoor/outdoor spray paint in pastel colors (i.e., pink, lt. blue, lt. green, etc.) I saw the cans in the store and saw that there was a wide selection of spray to choose from in different colors. Just to give the labels a color instead of just white. I did order labels from onlinelabels.com but I figured that to make them really waterproof, I would spray them with a protective spray. I'm going to buy one can to start with and see how that works. I'll let all know the results.

There is several places to buy labels that are colored. This sounds interesting, spraying the whole sheet, printing the info, then spraying a clear coat on top. 8) Keep us informed.

I'm going to micheal's today.

Digit- great idea about stampin! I could get one of those large stamps and stamp different colors on the paper before printing! Ohhh something neat and leafy and stamp in shades of pastel green! *wheels turning*

Soapmaker Man Clear enamel? Hmmm... Going to pick some of that up too!

pepperi27 said:
But with the weatherproof labels, is your ink waterproof as well? I have lexmark therefore no waterproof ink will the weatherproof still work?

good question ...my ink may be waterproof ...my printer is 2 years old & I think I remember reading something about the ink being waterproof or resistant at least - you can request samples ( at no cost I think) from Online Labels, so you can test ...you may still need to spray with a sealer, but the label quality is great, it won't dissolve/rip if it gets wet ...HTH!

Latest posts

Back