Question about Kolourscope dyes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zettie

Reaction score
Hello: I used to buy liquid dyes from an online business called "The Soap Dish." The person who ran this site is apparently retired now. I cannot find these dyes which were called "Kolourscope" anywhere else. Does anyone know if there is another business that sells this product? Thank you!

Thank you for responding. It just said on the label FDA approved , oil based soap making dyes in a base of sunflower oil and Vitamin E. I ordered a new liquid dye recently that I'm scared to use now. It says I should add poly 80 to it, and this is exactly why I miss these original dyes I used for years. The colors didn't bleed and you never had to add these other substances to them. They were ready to use in cold process soap straight from the bottle.

Thank you for responding. It just said on the label FDA approved , oil based soap making dyes in a base of sunflower oil and Vitamin E. I ordered a new liquid dye recently that I'm scared to use now. It says I should add poly 80 to it, and this is exactly why I miss these original dyes I used for years. The colors didn't bleed and you never had to add these other substances to them. They were ready to use in cold process soap straight from the bottle.
You shouldn't have to add poly-80 to your soap colorants. Also, colorants for soap do not need to be FDA approved (only colorants for cosmetics need this approval). However, I'm wondering if the main use for these colorants was for bath products like bath bombs? If this was the case, the poly-80 suggestion makes sense, as does the FDA approval.

It had something to do with the fact there was some ultramarine in the dye. The main issue was that you were supposed to add the poly-80 for use in bath bombs. Otherwise it could stain the tub and body. I'm a bath person instead of a shower so I wanted to know if I needed the poly-80 for use in a cold process soap that people may use in the bathtub. I was told yes when I called the company.

Another company that I really like for my fragrance oils is selling liquid dyes called lab colors. They say it's necessary to add a mL of either Optiphen ND or Germaben. If this is not added you will get bacteria and mold in the dyes. I just never had anything like this with the Kolourscope. I don't know why companies aren't selling a complete product versus dyes that need all these additives added once you get them.

It had something to do with the fact there was some ultramarine in the dye. The main issue was that you were supposed to add the poly-80 for use in bath bombs. Otherwise it could stain the tub and body. I'm a bath person instead of a shower so I wanted to know if I needed the poly-80 for use in a cold process soap that people may use in the bathtub. I was told yes when I called the company.

Another company that I really like for my fragrance oils is selling liquid dyes called lab colors. They say it's necessary to add a mL of either Optiphen ND or Germaben. If this is not added you will get bacteria and mold in the dyes. I just never had anything like this with the Kolourscope. I don't know why companies aren't selling a complete product versus dyes that need all these additives added once you get them.
The Lab Dyes are supposed to be bloomed in water and that is why they need the preservative if you plan on using them. Yours seem to have been suspended in oil, so they wouldn't need to be preserved.
I still maintain that they shouldn't need poly-80. I use ultramarine in my soaps often and have never needed to.
As a side note: ultramarine should never be used in bath bombs, they will react with the citric and produce sulfurous gasses.

I didn't know that about bath bombs and the sulfurous gasses. I'm just a cold process soap maker. Thank you for that information as if I ever decide to try bath bombs it's certainly necessary to know. I'm thinking about working with an ultramarine violet oxide pigment and an ultramarine blue pigment. I've used chrome green pigment before, which was the only other colorant I ever used along with the discontinued Kolourscope dyes. Is there anything I should know about the various pigments and micas?

Latest posts

Back