Question about gel phase and scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
Ok so I noticed something that to me seems strange, but might not be to all you experienced soapers.

When I made my first batch on Friday, I added the amount of FO that the soapcalc told me to based on the default settings for the FO. At first, the scent was pretty solid, even after I poured into the mold. After unmolding, the scent seemed to still be present, just not as strongly, which is ok. When I checked the cut bars just now, I noticed that scent, while mild, is still present - but only in the segments of my tiny 1lb loaf that did not gel. If I smell the end cuts, that look perfectly creamy with not an ounce of gel, the scent is mild but very present. If I smell the segments from the middle of the loaf, where gel did happen, the scent is virtually nonexistent. Especially in the dead center where the gel area is visible.

What I would like to know is - does gelling kill scents every time? Or is it just the more delicate scents that can't take the heat? And if gelling does indeed diminish scents, how do you counter this?

TIA :)

No, gel doesn't kill the scent. Wait for a full cure and then compare them again, I'll bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

Some scents will fade, yes, but if it's a fader, it will eventually fade in both gelled and non-gelled soaps.

I gel most of my soaps and they are just as strong and scented as any of my non-gelled soaps after a full cure.

Ya I try to gel all my soaps, and they still have their smells.
I use BrambleBerrys fragrance calculator instead of the soapcalc thing, largely because I like the output in different strengths and measurements. Im lazy :)

Another thing to keep in mind is the default for fragrance in SoapCalc is 0.5oz per pound of oils and lots of soapers prefer to use 1.0oz ppo. But there will always be FO/EO's that are safe at levels higher or lower so knowing the IFRA standard for each scent is necessary.

I *think* my gelled soaps lose a bit more scent. I also *think* my CPOP'ed ones lose even more scent. I haven't conducted any personal tests though. Normally, I let the soap do what it wants. Most of the time that's not gelling. I really should try some comparison tests in future...

SoapCalc defaults to .5ppo. I normally use .8ppo - 1ppo for FOs. I like a strongly scented bar and get bummed out if it is too light.

I think this a YMMV thing. I've seen threads about this, espec. on DISH, where people swear up and down that CPOPing kills fragrance. Probably more saying the opposite, that there is no difference. I've posted asking about this before, and it was kind of the same result, ie; people's experiences/opinions vary.

Hmmmm ok I will wait and see. Thanks for the answers, you guys are all so awesome to always answer any questions one of us beginners has :)

Latest posts

Back