Question about equipment.

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Earth_Artist

Reaction score
New to soap making. Just made my first batch of cold processed soap today! I also like to do melt and pour. Can I use the same equipment for my melt and pour that I use for cold process. I am speaking mostly of my Pyrex container that I mix the soap in.
Thank you

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should not be using Pyrex to mix cold process soap in at all. You should be using stainless steel or plastic with a 2 or a 5 on the bottom in the little triangle.

Welcome to the forum and the soap making!

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
New to soap making. Just made my first batch of cold processed soap today! I also like to do melt and pour. Can I use the same equipment for my melt and pour that I use for cold process. I am speaking mostly of my Pyrex container that I mix the soap in.
Thank you
Susie is so right, but I just want to explain the reason is that sodium hydroxide will etch and weaken glass. Then bad things happen.

Earth_Artist

Reaction score
Why can't you use Pyrex? It is heat resistant.
Ok thank you. I just made one batch. I won't use it again. Glad I asked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arimara

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For melt & pour soap, you're good so it's not a complete loss. Welcome to the S.E.A.: Soapy Enablers Anonymous.

Earth_Artist

Reaction score
For melt & pour soap, you're good so it's not a complete loss. Welcome to the S.E.A.: Soapy Enablers Anonymous.
Phew. Thank you! I still have a lot to learn.
I am a ceramic artist and make soap dishes so I thought it only natural to start making soap.
So I have been watching the "Soap Queen" videos and I notice she is using Pyrex for lye water and splitting her batch.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have been watching the "Soap Queen" videos and I notice she is using Pyrex for lye water and splitting her batch.
The newer pyrex is not like the old pyrex from what I have read. I have two of the one's she uses on there but mine are really old and I do not use them all the time. She also sells or did sell the 8 cup pyrex measuring cups. She really should not be showing the use of them for lye soap or selling them for lye soaping. The new ones can etch and break or even explode if they get to hot. As mentioned buckets are much safer and have flat bottoms for stability.

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Ok thank you. I just made one batch. I won't use it again. Glad I asked.
I made more than one. I think I still have a Pyrex cup lying around the workshop from my initial batches of soap years ago, before I learned. It's kind of scratchy-frosty on the bottom.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the one I used to use before I knew better is very "scratchy-frosty" on the bottom. I would be very afraid to use it again.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
yeah mine went scratchy too - its relegated to lotion use now.