Question about Egg Shampoo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 50584

Reaction score
Is it safe to make a lye based c p
Soap using some eggs for a shampoo bar. I would like to sell them at a farmers market but not sure if they would go rancid or spoil. Worse, cause someone an illness. ??

You can make soap with egg in it, yes. I have an article about making soap with egg -- Table of contents | Soapy Stuff Other people, especially Earlene, have tried it too and have had good luck using egg. Search this forum for "egg" to learn more about what they think.

If you want to sell the soap as shampoo, that's your call. I don't use true lye-based soap on my hair, because it's much too harsh on hair. I would not sell it to others for that purpose for the same reason. But you do what you think is best for you.

You can make soap with egg in it, yes. I have an article about making soap with egg -- Table of contents | Soapy Stuff Other people, especially Earlene, have tried it too and have had good luck using egg. Search this forum for "egg" to learn more about what they think.

If you want to sell the soap as shampoo, that's your call. I don't use true lye-based soap on my hair, because it's much too harsh on hair. I would not sell it to others for that purpose for the same reason. But you do what you think is best for you.
Thank you for your reply. I’ve been asked by so many people wanting a lye based soap so I’m trying to make one that has some nourishment to it. I certainly will add to the label not to be used in coloured or treated hair.
Thanks again. I’ll look up more info on this. Diane

The one caveat I would add, is that you really need to test your soap for a year before you conclude that it is good to sell. And I mean that one recipe, over time. Make the soap, let it cure, watch it and test it and take copious notes during the entire process. Watch for problems with your recipe over time: does it develop problems like rancidity?(DOS); does it zap when you do the zap test?; does it stay firm with use, or does it go soft and melt away quickly?; etc.

Oh, and KNOW your regulations for your country and/or regions of sale. If you are in Canada & will sell only in Canada, learn the regulations pertaining to cosmetics (soap is regulated as a cosmetic in Canada). If you plan to sell outside your own country/region, learn the regulations that will apply. Compliance with these regulations is very important, not only for the soap maker, but for the consumer as well.

The one caveat I would add, is that you really need to test your soap for a year before you conclude that it is good to sell. And I mean that one recipe, over time. Make the soap, let it cure, watch it and test it and take copious notes during the entire process. Watch for problems with your recipe over time: does it develop problems like rancidity?(DOS); does it zap when you do the zap test?; does it stay firm with use, or does it go soft and melt away quickly?; etc.

Oh, and KNOW your regulations for your country and/or regions of sale. If you are in Canada & will sell only in Canada, learn the regulations pertaining to cosmetics (soap is regulated as a cosmetic in Canada). If you plan to sell outside your own country/region, learn the regulations that will apply. Compliance with these regulations is very important, not only for the soap maker, but for the consumer as well.
Ok. Thank you. This receipt I have has been used by another for sometime. I’m just wanting to double check if it’s advisable to sell. I may just leave it alone for now and work on a different project.
Thanks again.

Soap is classified as a cosmetic in Canada, true. We are required to submit a Cosmetic Notification Form if we're planning on selling but, once you've submitted your recipe, you're allowed to sell that product. It can take up to a year to get a CNF number because they're so backed up. They just want to ensure that you aren't using dangerous or restricted ingredients in your products.

Back