Question about determining sap value number

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoticsoaps

Reaction score
Using the chart below, what would be the sap value of Bacuri butter if you're using sodium hydroxide?

bacuri-data_1024x1024.jpg

@DeeAnna - Thank you for the help.

@Dorymae - I got the same. :)

211/1.403 = 150.39

If I were to input it into a lye calculator would it be 150.3 or 150.39??

Last edited:
To saponify any fat, you will need to count out "X" molecules of KOH or the same "X" molecules of NaOH. If you could do that -- actually count the molecules -- and weigh them, you will find the KOH molecules will weigh 1.403 more than the same number of NaOH molecules.

A chemist would say it this way -- 1.403 is the ratio of the molecular weight of KOH divided by the molecular weight of NaOH.

To saponify any fat, you will need to count out "X" molecules of KOH or the same "X" molecules of NaOH. If you could do that -- actually count the molecules -- and weigh them, you will find the KOH molecules will weigh 1.403 more than the same number of NaOH molecules.

A chemist would say it this way -- 1.403 is the ratio of the molecular weight of KOH divided by the molecular weight of NaOH.
So 1.403 is a fixed number?

My bacuri

A few of my customers have asked SoapCalc to add Bacuri and a few other exotic butters and oils I carry. I only make soap for fun and I would love to be able to use bacuri butter, tucuma oil and acai oil... But I have no idea how to calculate myself!
Good luck ladies!:)

NaOH Sap Values --

Acai 0.128
Find a fat on soapcalc that has the same sap value and enter the weight of acai as if it is that fat and run the recipe calc. The fatty acid properties won't be right, but the lye weight will be correct.

Tucuma 0.170
This is on Soapcalc.

Don't have info on bacuri.

Thank you.

Thanks DeeAnna, I do have all the numbers on them all, I could use this method you are suggesting, but if the fatty acid properties won't be right, how will I know if the soap will turn out good? They have tucuma butter, which comes from the seeds, not tucuma oil, that comes from the pulp, greasy oil, heavy, very rich in beta-carotene.

If you mean by "turn out good" that the soap won't be lye heavy, then my "work around" will work fine. If you want to have a reasonably accurate calculation of the fatty acid profile, then no the work around won't give accurate numbers for the fatty acid percentages. If you want that other info, you'll have to do those calculations by hand until the Soapcalc database is updated. The original poster's question was about sap values, not fatty acid profiles, so I assumed your followup question was about sap values too, since you didn't specifically say otherwise.

Back