Question about CPOP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NameThatCandy

Reaction score
Hi there,

I love this forum, I learn a lot from all of you, I just learn about CPOP. Now I have questions about CPOP.

What are the advantages of CPOP over CP? And if I use wood mold, is it ok to put in the oven?

How do I know that the soap is ready to cut?

thank

NameThatCandy said:
Hi there,

I love this forum, I learn a lot from all of you, I just learn about CPOP. Now I have questions about CPOP.

What are the advantages of CPOP over CP? And if I use wood mold, is it ok to put in the oven?

thank

With CPOP, make your recipe as you normally would but place the mold in the oven to gel. This can be done a number of ways. I always turn my oven on warm, put the mold in then turn the oven off, leaving the mold in there overnight. Others will leave the soap in the oven on warm for 2 hours before turning the oven off and leaving in there to cool. The heat of the oven helps your soap to gel. Some think CPOP can be used sooner, but I think that is not necessarily true. Your soap will still need to be cured although the cure time may be lessened a bit.

Wood molds are ideal for the oven IMO. Some plastic ones won't work though. And some plastic ones like Kelsies are strong enough to handle the heat of the oven but the makers won't guarantee your mold if used in the oven. They do admit to using theirs in the oven with no problem. I use my small one in the oven with no problem as well.

You know the soap is ready to cut when it is hard enough to unmold and cut. Usually about 24 hours, give or take. If its a salt bar, I can unmold in a matter of hours. It all depends on your recipe.

CPsoaper,

I am new to soapmaking. Thanks for your explaination.

I have another question, I use freezer paper to line the mold, can freezer paper heat in the oven?

Also, the whole oven thing is replaced the "insulation period"? right? It seems save a lot of time, most books I read said it should insulate for about 24 hours to 48 hours. If I put in the oven, it only takes overnight.

I plan to do a recipes from "Soapmaker's companion".
White Chocolate Mousse:
187.5 g Lye
1 lb 3oz Water
11 oz olive oil
8 oz jojoba oil
1 lb coconut oil
8 oz cocoa butter
8 oz palm oil
12 g grapefruit seed extract

How long do you think I need put in the oven?

And if I don't do CPOP, how long will be the insulation period?

Thanks again

NameThatCandy said:
CPsoaper,

I am new to soapmaking. Thanks for your explaination.

I have another question, I use freezer paper to line the mold, can freezer paper heat in the oven?

Also, the whole oven thing is replaced the "insulation period"? right? It seems save a lot of time, most books I read said it should insulate for about 24 hours to 48 hours. If I put in the oven, it only takes overnight.

I plan to do a recipes from "Soapmaker's companion".
White Chocolate Mousse:
187.5 g Lye
1 lb 3oz Water
11 oz olive oil
8 oz jojoba oil
1 lb coconut oil
8 oz cocoa butter
8 oz palm oil
12 g grapefruit seed extract

How long do you think I need put in the oven?

And if I don't do CPOP, how long will be the insulation period?

Thanks again

Honestly, I don't know how freezer paper would do since I've never used it. But, my oven on warm only heats to about 170. I line my wood mold with butcher paper and have no problem. I also put a sheet of saran wrap on the bottom of my Kelsie and have never had any problems - the edges that stick out will sometimes shrink a bit but have never actually melted.

Looking at that recipe, and having not run it through the calc to see the numbers, and seeing it does have a lot of harder butters (co, cb and palm), I'd guess you should be able to unmold around 24 hours and cut your soap then or shortly thereafter. It could be longer; you will just have to make the soap and see how it turns out given the amount of water used , etc.

Most of my soaps, whether I CPOP or not, can be unmolded and cut in about 24 hours. Each person's experience can be different.

I CPOP with freezer paper in the molds and never had a problem. Also use Pringles cans etc. Just make sure the oven is warm (170 or less) and not hot. Works great for me.

Hi Chalk Creek,

Thanks, it is great to know that Freezer paper works fine.

I can't wait to try CPOP. I am going to do it next Monday.

Thanks again

I buy a rather large roll at Safeway. I can actually get several uses from one butcher paper lining by unmolding it from the soap very carefully. The roll lasts me quite a long time. I would have thought Sams Club would carry this, but the one in my city does not.

One more question, do you notice that any different on the soap texture compare to regular CP soaps? Are they still smooth?

thanks

NameThatCandy said:
One more question, do you notice that any different on the soap texture compare to regular CP soaps? Are they still smooth?

thanks

Compared to 'CPOP? If so, no I notice no difference in the texture between CP and CPOP. The actual process to make the soap is the same with CP and CPOP. The only difference is that you don't use the oven with CP. With CP though, you can still try to get your soap to gel by insulating your mold some way. If I'm not using the oven but want to force gel, I have a gelling box that i I lined with a small baby blanket size sheep skin, I put my mold in the gelling box and wrap with a few large towels. The idea behind this is to get the soap to heat up enough to completely gel. When avoiding gel, I put my soap mold in the fridge.

Hi there,

I just put my soap in the oven about an hour and half ago, the oven is off now. Should I still leave them overnight? Or Can I take the soap out at midnight before I go to bed? Is it long enough?

Thanks

How long was the oven on- I would leave it overnight-heat off of course- and don't open the oven, just an opinion. I have only don't this really a handful of times but it's worked out great this way..

I just made my first ever batch of soap using the CPOP method, but I put the molds in the oven with the oven light on and left it on for 7 hours, then turned it off and let the soap sit in the oven for several more hours before pulling the molds out. Later in the day, I put the molds in the freezer for a couple of hours so that I could get the soap out of the mold. The soap turned out beautifully! I plan to CPOP more soap soon. The molds were heavy plastic dishwasher safe food containers with 1/2 cup compartments and a lid.

CPSoaper said:
NameThatCandy said:
Hi there,

thank

With CPOP, make your recipe as you normally would but place the mold in the oven to gel. This can be done a number of ways. I always turn my

so, whats the benefit of putting in in the oven? I make my cp in a wood mold, and it gels and i cut it the next day. Just wondering.

oven on warm, put the mold in then turn the oven off, leaving the mold in

there overnight. Others will leave the soap in the oven on warm for 2 hours before turning the oven off and leaving in there to cool. The heat of the oven helps your soap to gel. Some think CPOP can be used sooner, but I think that is not necessarily true. Your soap will still need to be cured although the cure time may be lessened a bit.

Wood molds are ideal for the oven IMO. Some plastic ones won't work though. And some plastic ones like Kelsies are strong enough to handle the heat of the oven but the makers won't guarantee your mold if used in the oven. They do admit to using theirs in the oven with no problem. I use my small one in the oven with no problem as well.

You know the soap is ready to cut when it is hard enough to unmold and cut. Usually about 24 hours, give or take. If its a salt bar, I can unmold in a matter of hours. It all depends on your recipe.

Latest posts

Back