Question about Coconut Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
I want to make a Coconut oil soap with Coconut milk instead of water.... Do I need to consider the Coconut milk while trying to figure out my lye calculations? What would I superfat this at?
Thank you Thank you!

Coconut Milk

Yes, if you use liquid coconut milk, it needs to be part of your water calculation.

Some folks add it at trace, and deduct it from the total water amt. Meaning if the recipe calls for 14 ounces of water, they'll dissolve the lye in 10 ounces, and stir in 4 ounces at trace.

I use coconut milk powder, so it's an additive, and obviously not included in the water calculation.

I've seen you need to do pure coconut oil soap at 15-20% superfat. I cant find a lye calc that goes this high...

If I dissolved the lye in half water/coconut milk, would the lye distroy the milk?

Lane said:
I've seen you need to do pure coconut oil soap at 15-20% superfat. I cant find a lye calc that goes this high...

If I dissolved the lye in half water/coconut milk, would the lye distroy the milk?

Yep, you do — Paul (Soapmakerman) knows about it. I've never tried a coconut soap. Coconut Milk is not a true "dairy", and I don't know how it reacts, when lye is added to it. Perhaps someone else can come in, with experience using the liquid.

I have only done 3 batches of CP but two of them I used coconut milk as half of my liquid. I added the coconut milk to my oils though and mixed the lye in the other half that was water.

No you do not have to figure your coconut milk in as part of your 'oils' as it would be considered as part of your liquid. That is the one thing I dislike about lye calculators is they all say 'water' when it should say liquid because many do not use water, but other liquids instead.

However as far as superfatting, I am not sure what the rate should be and what lye calculator to use.

But I am interested because I'd like to make a bar of soap that lathers in salt water....... But won't be harsh on your skin.

So i'll watch this one with interest.

faithy said:
No you do not have to figure your coconut milk in as part of your 'oils' as it would be considered as part of your liquid. That is the one thing I dislike about lye calculators is they all say 'water' when it should say liquid because many do not use water, but other liquids instead.

However as far as superfatting, I am not sure what the rate should be and what lye calculator to use.

But I am interested because I'd like to make a bar of soap that lathers in salt water....... But won't be harsh on your skin.

So i'll watch this one with interest.

I'm confused. I thought Lane was asking if the coconut milk should be included in the water calc — it should. It's not an "oil" so it wouldn't be included in the oil calc.

sarahjane mentioned that she stirs the milk into her oils, as some soapers do.

Did I miss something? :lol:

Hi -

I make an all coconut highly superfatted coconut bar and use coconut milk as 100% of my liquids. Men love this soap because it lathers like a mofo. I find it drying myself - but it's a favorite bar for many of testers.

NEASoapWorks said:
Haha. No, I ment is there anything in the coconut milk that the lye would need to saponify. But I think, now, if it is used as my liquid to dissolve to lye, I don't need to worry about it...

Marr said:
I make an all coconut highly superfatted coconut bar and use coconut milk as 100% of my liquids.
I cant find a lye calc that will let me superfat at 20%...I am going to make a batch with 30 ounces of coconut oil and can not figure out how much coconut milk I need or how much lye.
:oops:

I posted my recipe here at this forum, just do a search for it. I do take a very high SF lye discount. It is not at all drying to me. I add 5% castor oil to it also. Sometimes I'll figure 15% lye discount at www.soapcalc.com and add the 5% castor oil at trace, with my FO mixed in with it. Makes it bubble like a "MOFO" as stated! :lol:

Just search and you'll find my recipe.

Paul

I would like to try a 100% PKO - I think MY skin would like it better. My skin just doesn't like high coconut in the winter.

Okay

Lane said:
NEASoapWorks said:
Haha. No, I ment is there anything in the coconut milk that the lye would need to saponify. But I think, now, if it is used as my liquid to dissolve to lye, I don't need to worry about it...

Ooookay! :lol:
I was wonderin', "Did I answer the question right?"
*stopped scratching head*

As with any "milk" you need to watch adding lye to the coconut milk directly or it can burn like bovine milk can or goat milk. The sugars in the coconut milk is what the lye hates. Just watch how you mix the two together.

Paul

Back