Question about Coconut, Castor, and The Bubble Factory

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or it wasn't aged enough.

I don't know how to say this here without upsetting lard-ites but even if food safe animal fats have fluctuating and variable hormones, antibiotics and can be hydrogenated wich can effect SOME skin sensitive people.

Please provide documentation from a reliable scientific source showing that hormones and/or antibiotics exist in lard sold for human consumption.

(Folks, I tried to ignore this. All day long, I tried hard to ignore this!)

Please provide documentation from a reliable scientific source showing that hormones and/or antibiotics exist in lard sold for human consumption.

(Folks, I tried to ignore this. All day long, I tried hard to ignore this!)

Hi Susie,

I didn't want to stir up trouble and I know many, many people sucessfully use lard and tallow. I am not sure what your animal husbandry is like in the US but we definitely use them in Australia for animals. There are retailers who advertise that their meat doesn't have them and they are becoming so popular that standards might change.

I still think it is a personal preference thing for food and for soap because it is all food safe and there might not be any effect on humans.

http://www.aussiepigfarmers.com.au/our-pigs/looking-after-our-pigs/

Last edited:
Hi Susie,

I didn't want to stir up trouble and I know many, many people sucessfully use lard and tallow. I am not sure what your animal husbandry is like in the US but we definitely use them in Australia for animals. There are retailers who advertise that their meat doesn't have them and they are becoming so popular that standards might change.

I still think it is a personal preference thing for food and for soap because it is all food safe and there might not be any effect on humans.

http://www.aussiepigfarmers.com.au/our-pigs/looking-after-our-pigs/
I think that what we're saying is that lard is very different from meat. It is rendered at high temps that should break down the cholesterol structures of most hormones. And if THAT doesn't do it, the lye certainly will!

I think that what we're saying is that lard is very different from meat. It is rendered at high temps that should break down the cholesterol structures of most hormones. And if THAT doesn't do it, the lye certainly will!

My dh is a biochemist and (I think) he says the heat (especially high temps) and lye might break up the hormones during the chemical reaction and if it does it might produce some other totally unknown hormone or chemical. That is how genetically modified hormones occur and why it is so unpredictable.

I am happy to live and let live. I am probably just paranoid. I just thought gigi, being sensitive, might be sensitive to what might be a number of unknowns.

I encourage you to find whatever it takes to please your skin, because I believe it is in your reach. I agree with the others -- cleansing power will not be an issue. And I am guessing that the benefits of finding the right formula will greatly outweigh any drawback you see from lack of bubbles or other secondary attributes. My skin issues were different than yours, but still, I was so happy to find what handmade soap could do for me. I do like bubbles, but honestly, I want bubbles more for people I share my soaps with than I do for myself. I know the real benefits of soap :)

I encourage you to find whatever it takes to please your skin, because I believe it is in your reach. I agree with the others -- cleansing power will not be an issue. And I am guessing that the benefits of finding the right formula will greatly outweigh any drawback you see from lack of bubbles or other secondary attributes. My skin issues were different than yours, but still, I was so happy to find what handmade soap could do for me. I do like bubbles, but honestly, I want bubbles more for people I share my soaps with than I do for myself. I know the real benefits of soap :)

CaraBou it's funny that after all these months, I'm back at the beginning, following advice I was given with my first batch attempt, that I heard and appreciated, but promptly ignored in my enthusiasm to make pretty soap. Everyone said make basic soap that works for your skin and get that mastered, then you can move on to fancy stuff.

So here I sit, formulating a basic, no frills recipe, based on Gennys recipe, hoping I'll have soap that doesn't make my skin dry and/or tight after a few washes, and realizing all the techniques I've practiced have probably been wasted on soaps I can't use long term.

And this, my fellow newbies, is why ya should listen to the gurus when the say "start basic - time makes a difference with soap - don't start selling early".

Going to admire all my pretty, but useless to me, soap :)

Gigi, this definitely has to be added to your 'Newbie soaping adventure list'. Love that thread you started.

Good idea janzo, I'll go add it. And TY, I was just venting in a sarcastic manner, but people enjoying it, so that works for me :)

Last edited:
My dh is a biochemist and (I think) he says the heat (especially high temps) and lye might break up the hormones during the chemical reaction and if it does it might produce some other totally unknown hormone or chemical. That is how genetically modified hormones occur and why it is so unpredictable.

I am happy to live and let live. I am probably just paranoid. I just thought gigi, being sensitive, might be sensitive to what might be a number of unknowns.

While I can appreciate the fact that you and yours prefer to buy products with no hormones and/or antibiotics, the issue here is whether they exist in lard sold for human consumption, which is not covered in that article. I did not even bring up the fact that this lard is being used for a wash off product. I am not trying to be a troublemaker here, but unless you can prove that those are in lard, your suggestion to Gigi to avoid lard is, at best, invalid.

Latest posts

Back