Question about chrome wire soap rack

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoticsoaps

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I found a storage rack that immediately made me think of soap curing. Sadly, after researching soap curing, it seems that using a chrome wire rack may cause DOS. On Soap Queen's blog, there's talk that a protective coating that can be applied to certain metals to prevent the wire and raw soap from interacting.

So, is there any protective coating I can buy from the hardware store to apply to the chrome portions of this storage rack, so that I can use it without worrying that it may contribute to DOS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try some of that plastic grid stuff that's used for embroidery. You can get it at most craft stores. Just lay it on top of the shelf. That will keep it from touching the chrome, but still allow air to circulate.

I line my shelving units with needle point plastic sheet. Works great. Another thing that works pretty well is rug hooking fabric. Though that's harder to find I think.

Back