Question about calculator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wintersnow

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm very new to soap making so doing lots and lots of research. I've seen the lye calculator but in all honesty stare at it like a deer in headlights (insert black face, wide eyes and you'll get my look) :lol:

Can someone educate me on how to use it? Thank you.

www.thesage.com

In put the amount of oils your want to use of each by ozs.

so if your recipe calls for 15ozs of Almond Oil.. you find Almond oil on the list and insert the amount

when you are finished, press calculate and it will tell you how much lye and water to use for your recipe..

I have been using this online calc. http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp almost from the onset of my soapmaking. It is very easy to use, gives oils properties, easily adjusts to your custom specs, stores up to 4 recipes for you, and it's free! I really like the "oils properties" part of the site, as I have learned much about the "synergy" of combining various oils to achieve a good to fantastic bar of soap! It is one of the mostly used online calcs. MMS is good too, especially for resizing recipes. My vote is for SoapCalculator though. :)

Paul.... :wink:

Soap Calc

Soap Calc is GREAT!! What Paul said about learning "oil synergy" — Soap Calc will let you know if your soap is too high in certain fatty acids — which can result in a harsh, stripping bar of soap.

Just play with it. Don't let it scare you, cuz it's a great tool to have. I'm a newbie — still reading and figuring out what will be in my first batch of soap.

I have used that site shortly after I started my soapmaking career, still use it today even though I have a "paid for" program too. It's free, good, and love the site! You can store recipes there, tweak them by adding more, less oils, different oils, whatever. It's taken me about a year-and-a-half to get a recipe that I feel is perfect for me, and my customers! It does require dedication, expense, and willingness to try, try again and again. It's INHO the BEST free online calc. out there. 8)

Paul.... :wink:

Latest posts

Back