Question about buttermilk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LunaLe

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I want to make a soap using buttermilk powder and I have some questions. I want to add sugar for help with bubbles, but doesn't the milk powder already have a bunch of sugar? I was also reading about how the buttermilk has lactic acid which turns into sodium lactate when it reacts with the lye, so if I use buttermilk powder should I still add sugar and sodium lactate? Thanks!

Last edited:
I have had overheating with buttermilk powder in the past. Others don’t but it has. I don’t use it too Often these days as I pretty much stick with coconut milk. So just watch it.

I have had overheating with buttermilk powder in the past. Others don’t but it has. I don’t use it too Often these days as I pretty much stick with coconut milk. So just watch it.
I will keep an eye out just in case, thank you!

I just made 2 batches of buttermilk soap using powdered buttermilk and I didn't have any heating issues. However I did start at room temperature with my oils/lye. I also used sodium lactate but just 1% ppo and I forced gelled my soap with heating pads and the soap did not get any hotter then what I had my heating pads set at.

However as others have said, some do have issues with heat when using powdered milks.

I just made 2 batches of buttermilk soap using powdered buttermilk and I didn't have any heating issues. However I did start at room temperature with my oils/lye. I also used sodium lactate but just 1% ppo and I forced gelled my soap with heating pads and the soap did not get any hotter then what I had my heating pads set at.

However as others have said, some do have issues with heat when using powdered milks.
I plan on soaping at about 90 for this recipe and I do want it to gel. I do cpop to force gel, so I will keep an eye out just in case. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back