Question about blue mica morphing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleCrazyWolf

Reaction score
I was making a batch of soap for my son and the pretty blue mica ended up a grayish green color. My recipe is pretty white so I am thinking that it may have been the FO.

If it turns out that the FO is the culprit, would coloring the batch with titanium dioxide first allow me to then add the blue mica (and have it stay blue)?

I was using Nurture's Baby Blue mica.

I thought it was weird too because I have a bunch of micas from Nurture and they have all been great.

I was using Lebermuth's Blueberry FO and my recipe was castor, lard, tallow, avocado, and rice bran. I used 50/50 goats milk/water with the milk added directly to oils.

If your FO discolors, adding TD won't do anything except make it a lighter discolor. I would email your FO supplier and see if they have info on it discoloring. How much mica did you use? Sometimes if you don't use enough, it won't make a nice bright color.

EDIT: I found a web site that says the blueberry discolors to a yellow so there is your issue. Personally, I won't order FO from any company that doesn't have info on discoloration/acceleration. Thats one reason I like natures garden so much, they give a lot of info on their FO's.

Last edited:
Ok, can't opine on the FO b/c I've never bought Lebermuth. I think I have wanted to but the minimums were too high, or some other barrier to purchase. I did check the soap scent review board to see if anyone had made comments on the blueberry, but no results there.

Your recipe does not seem to be one that would lead to morphing. I am wondering if this was just a bad batch of mica?

Thanks everyone!

I do think it was the FO. My son isn't going to care about the color (he's six and thinks every soap I make is beautiful!). I bought the FO just for him so from now on I'm just going to leave it uncolored...or I'll use the discoloration to color it something crazy that he'll get a kick out of.

Thanks for the info about the TD. I don't use it very often so that is good info to know.

ETA: I used 1.5 tsp of mica for 25 oz of oil.

Last edited:
Back