Question about alternative liners for soap molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
I have a roll of 100% rubber drawer liner material that is perfectly flat and smooth. Got it at the dollar store :) Can I use this to create a liner for a soap mold?

I also have several cans of Plasti Dip (a rubber coating product usually used to coat tool handles) that I've used to make the bottoms of my crochet house slippers nonslip. Could I use it to.coat the inside of a soap mold?

TIA :)

I've heard of people use the drawer liners, though I haven't tried it myself. The plasti Dip might be interesting. I'm not that adventurous when it comes to testing my molds. I do know the thin plastic cutting boards from the dollar store work to line the molds though.

I have never understood how the placemats work. Don't they leak where the sides meet the bottom? Or am I picturing it wrong?

I have used the thin plastic cutting mats from the dollar tree. I made liners for my molds. I taped them together with the grey duct tape. I have used the same one in several batches and it is still good. Doesn't leak at all.

Mary Lou

:crazy:Well, of course! Tape! Don't I feel silly. I guess that's what happens when I can't sleep and I read about soap in the middle of the night.

I haven't seen the video but what I did was really easy. I used 1 piece for the bottom and sides. I scored it where the fold would be and that made the fold easy. Then I measured the ends. I cut them and taped them to the side- bottom piece. I have used them over and over. It beats cutting freezer paper every time I used a mold. Just be sure you use the slick side for the inside so the soap slides right out.

I got 3 cutting mats from the reject shop for $3. but DH does have some of that plastic spray paint around here..... hehehehe I see me stealing it and giving it a try

I had some very thin plastic sheets that I cut to fit and just peal them off the loaf.
I make my own molds with wood and use 1/4" plastic squares for the ends. One end sits in a slot and the other is movable.

Has any one seen these plastic mats in a larger size? My mold is 35" long and I'd love to be able to use these instead of paper. Or any other suggestions?

look in the window section of a chain hardware store like Lowes they have a plastic area with thin sheets that is what I use.

I may try the plasti dip . Will let ya know how it goes :)

GiGi...did you try the Plasti-Dip yet? I have a friend who used it on some bike parts to cover some chrome in order to see if she liked the look before going through the expense of powder coating. Anyway....the Plasti-Dip had a bit of a rough texture to it. I don't know if there's different finish options but you might paint something as a test before you do your mold. Then again, it easily peels off!
http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Back