Question about alternative liners for soap molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GiGi...did you try the Plasti-Dip yet? I have a friend who used it on some bike parts to cover some chrome in order to see if she liked the look before going through the expense of powder coating. Anyway....the Plasti-Dip had a bit of a rough texture to it. I don't know if there's different finish options but you might paint something as a test before you do your mold. Then again, it easily peels off!
http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Not yet, haven't had time, but I want to try it soon. When I do I will post for sure :)

Finally my Mylar arrived and I got time to make the liners -

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1447264490.018055.jpg

So I have to tape them in place, but this is just a trial for my next mould (8.8kg or 19lb) slab where paper would be a pain. Mylar should be able to fold without splitting, so I'm trying it out on a smaller scale to see how it goes

Finally my Mylar arrived and I got time to make the liners -

View attachment 17558

So I have to tape them in place, but this is just a trial for my next mould (8.8kg or 19lb) slab where paper would be a pain. Mylar should be able to fold without splitting, so I'm trying it out on a smaller scale to see how it goes

So your other alternative would be to make your own silicone liners. Does Mylar breath better than silicone?

Glad cling wrap works too. I wrap each piece of the mould and fasten the wood together.
Works good enough for the hobby maker like me and I can get three or four uses without replacing the liner.

Glad press 'n' seal - NOT cling wrap. DW corrected me. Apparently, they aren't the same.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back