Question about aloe butter,avocado butters....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
I was chatting with a supplier here about Mango butter just today, and they've decided to stop carrying it due to the speed that it oxidises - their peroxide tests show that it oxidises incredibly fast and as a result they found it wasn't worth keeping for the amount they throw out (for falling below standards).

Does your Mango Butter oxidise, or go rancid quickly in soaps?

Very interesting. I wonder who their supplier is and/or how they store it, because to date, over the past 9 years since I've been working with mango butter, I've never had any of my soaps or lip balms or body butters that I regularly make with it go rancid on me.

As a matter of fact, I still have several soaps on hand made with it that are several years old now and there's no rancidity in them at all, and I also have a handful of lip balms on hand from some batches made with it a few years ago (and stored in my fridge) that are still holding up great. Whenever I've taken one out to replace a tube that I've just used up, it's like I'm using a freshly-made balm. No off-flavors, staleness or any other weirdness to speak of.

For what it's worth, I always store my mango butter in the fridge. My shea butter, too.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back