question about ADDING fo's or eo's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beadella

Reaction score
I read on another post recently (or was it in a book??) that measuring out your eo's (and fo's I guess, too) before starting your recipe is a dumb idea because by the time you go to add them in, some of it will have evaporated, so the amounts will be off. :?

My question is: can you stir them into the other oils before you add the lye, so the evaporation won't be an issue?? I know..........soapmaking 101 for sure......... :roll:

Also, here's sort of a poll question, so I hope EVERYONE answers it!! :p

What is your FAVE type of packaging/labeling for CP and MP soap bars, including something you've seen someone else do and admired.

Thanx oodles for any input,

Della :)

PS~~hope I didn't post this in the wrong catagory, but if I did, could you let me know (PM) and scootch it over to the right spot???? :D

PPS~~I can't help thinking that I am either repeating myself, or someone else, so for that I appologize........... :(

Hi Della,

Hmmm... I've never heard of measuring one's F/Os or E/Os before starting your recipe as being a dumb idea. I always measure mine out beforehand in a shot glass and have had no problems to speak of with evaporation whatsoever, but then again, I always cover the shot glass with Saran Wrap until I'm ready to pour it in. I pretty much do that more to prevent any accidental spillage than to prevent evaporation, though. Interesting.

As far as packaging goes, I love seeing all the different types of packaging that soapcrafters can come up with. Everyone's packaging is so creative and unique. One of my favorite ones is a package made from doing an Origami-type folding thing around the soap. It looked like the soap was dressed up in a tuxedo when all was said and done. I thought that was pretty clever and classy looking. I use French-fry bags myself. HTH! :)

IrishLass

It takes roughly 30 minutes for me to make a batch of CP using the RTCP method. I have everything premeasured and ready to go in it's place. Somethimes you have to work fast and don't have time to stop and measure something out. I doubt there will be enough evaporation in that time frame to make much of a difference. HP on the other hand I don't measure until I need it.

Chay said:
It takes roughly 30 minutes for me to make a batch of CP using the RTCP method. I have everything premeasured and ready to go in it's place. Somethimes you have to work fast and don't have time to stop and measure something out. I doubt there will be enough evaporation in that time frame to make much of a difference. HP on the other hand I don't measure until I need it.

What she said! RTCP is quick, easy and most of the prep can be done beforehand.

I always measure everything out beforehand.

I really like the basic cigar band, personally. You can dress those up nicely.

IrishLass, I've seen your french fry bags and LOVE them!

IrishLass said:
I use French-fry bags myself.
That's interesting, do you have a pic of a wrapped soap? I can't quite picture it in my mind.

IrishLass said:
Chay,

Here is a link to my soap-bragging site. It's not a selling site, but just a site where I post pics of my soap (it's severely in need of updating). Anyway, if you scroll all the way down to the bottom, there is a pic of my French-fry packaging.

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm
IrishLass :)

Really good idea with the french fry packaging....not what I expected...for some reason I had a vision of something with a golden "M".... :D ...I like that it is attractive yet very economical.

Now your bubble wrap in the mold idea......wow! You're a genius! That is sooo cool.

IrishLass said:
Chay,

Here is a link to my soap-bragging site. It's not a selling site, but just a site where I post pics of my soap (it's severely in need of updating). Anyway, if you scroll all the way down to the bottom, there is a pic of my French-fry packaging.

http://members.cox.net/ssfkjfalf/AllMySoap/Start.htm

IrishLass :)
I know you don't sell your soap on this particular website, but do you sell your soap? If not, you should, they're very nice.

I measure my EO/FO into a shot glass before soaping, then sit it into the mold. I don't ever forget my EO/FO now.

My fave packaging is an origami box I make for my heart-shaped soaps.

Back