Question about adding different acids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
Another beginner question!

I see on the SoapCalc oil list that Lauric Acid, etc., and other acids are on the list to add separately. Can anyone tell me about that? In other words, do people add these acids, Lauric, Oleic, etc., individually to a recipe? For example, I have a recipe that is low on Lauric acid. By putting in Lauric acid into the SoapCalc, it increased the cleansing number. What occasions would one do that? I appreciate your advice! Thanks,
Kathy

When would you use a fatty acid vs. a fat? If you have the fatty acid and want to increase the % of that particular FA and nothing else. Stearic acid is often used to make shave soap, for example, so the soap will form a dense, lubricating lather. It's hard to get enough stearic from just fats, although some people have successfully done that. Many of us add stearic instead.

Some commercial soaps include one or more FAs, but I'd guess their use of FAs in soap is more of a cost control measure than anything else. FAs except for stearic can be hard to source for small-scale soap makers and may be more expensive than the fats the FAs come from.

Bear in mind that soaping with fatty acids is a totally different animal than soaping with fats. FAs react quickly with alkali (NaOH or KOH) so the soap will thicken up really fast if you use more than a few percent of fatty acids in your recipe. In other words, fatty acids will cause the soap batter to "sieze" and you have to be ready for that. The most straightforward solution is to use a hot process method for this type of recipe.

Thank you DeeAnna!
That’s just what I needed to know, before trying a cockamamie idea! I will stick to what is more likely to work!! After a harrowing time pushing my first batch into the mold, I can picture that disaster!

Latest posts

Back