Question about a vegan alternative?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyHappyHour

Reaction score
Hey you gusy I have recently started making a cuticle cream using this recipe

Ingredients
• 3.2 Ounce(s) Sweet Almond Oil
• 2.0 Ounce(s) Beeswax - White Granules NF
• 1.2 Ounce(s) Mango Butter
• .40 Ounce(s) Candellila Wax
• .40 Ounce(s) Sunflower Oil
• .40 Ounce(s) Wheat Germ Oil
• .24 Ounce(s) Vitamin E
• .24 Ounce(s) Lemon Essential Oil

I recently had a request to do a vegan version of this. Is there an alternative to the Beeswax? Or anyone know a good vegan recipe using similar ingredients?

You could just either up the candelilla wax and get rid of the beeswax or replace the beeswax with Carnauba Wax.

I had a recipe that used both Candelilla and Carnauba waxes as substitutes for the beeswax...

So to those who sell vegan soap, how well do they sell? Aside from requests, how well do they sell at markets/etsy/online/etc? I thought about providing some vegan options, but just wondering how many people would be interested in buying and if it would be worth it?

soapylady said:
So to those who sell vegan soap, how well do they sell? Aside from requests, how well do they sell at markets/etsy/online/etc? I thought about providing some vegan options, but just wondering how many people would be interested in buying and if it would be worth it?

My soaps are vegan. Except my rebatched because I add milk. I've only had a couple people over the years ask if they're vegan. But I really only sell at markets and fairs in my state.

They sell about as well as non-vegan soaps in my opinion. I usually alert them what I am using so they know in advance lol. But for my relatives and friends with allergies they're a lifesaver....I don't use nut oils,extracts or shells in deference to my aunt and cousins with nut allergies in any of my products vegan or not...

I find it doesn't really make a difference. I have a vegan customer, and I know he is way vegan as I've know him most of my life and he is okay with beeswax/honey and lanolin. Most of my products are vegetarian friendly and most people really don't care. What they care about is scent, performance - stuff like that. If you make a rocking product then it is going to sell - end of story...

In truth I think that the vegan movement is falling away as the 100 mile diet moves in since most of the foods a true vegan need are highly processed and not produced locally. We had a lady here in town that was a die hard vegan. She decided she wanted to buy a small hobby farm and live on what she could produce, she quickly learned that a vegan diet is not a natural diet for humans and she is now eating some meat that she gets from other farmers in our area.

There is a real movement, at least up here, whole food diets which basically means that we use the whole animal as we thank them for allowing us to eat. It's allowing tallow soaps to become more popular again too.

Hmmm - sorry I kinda went off topic - I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread :wink:

Latest posts

Back