Question about “ How you market your soap”

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is that even legal?

Yes and no; though its more likely “no”.

Unless you go through the processes, approval and licensIng for “drug” claims, the only thing you can legally claim about your soap is that it “cleans”.

When I first started making soap, I knew that I couldn’t make any cosmetic or drug claims about my soap, but I thought I could talk about the“benefits” of the ingredients, but even that is too fine a line, especially since the lye overpowers them during the saponification process so whether you are making soap with pig fat or some expensive oil that costs $100USD a gram...at the end what you have is a substance that cuts through dirt and grease...it “cleans”.

Right now I make four soaps...Regular, Goat Milk, Sea and Trades. The Sea Soap is for some friends who are commercial fishermen; its high in Coconut Oil so it works well with sea water. My Trades Soap contains pumice for extra cleaning power. I also have a Salt Soap that I have gotten some positive feedback on, but now I’m crossing into “cosmetic” territory and they wont be for sale until all my “I”s are dotted and my “T”s crossed.

Different parts of the country are more litigious than others. It often doesn’t matter who is “at fault”. Defense in suits are expensive, time consuming, and may affect other family members. Set your business up to protect yourself.

The reason I like to use fairly expensive ingredients is 1: I can, 2: I like to experiment 3: my giftees lovvvve them, 4: I don’t need to sell. Now inexpensive ingredients make perfectly fine soap, and it’s perfectly fine to sell. Don’t get me wrong about that. People love fancy soap design and are happy to pay for that! It’s business. So in light of that, no matter where you sell, just remember to CYA!!
Have you tried rosehip seed oil in your soaps? ... very pricey.. but curious what u thought about it if you have. I’ve been tossing around getting it at some point. 😊

Funny - I bought rosehip oil and gave it to a friend. Not that I didn’t like it—just a spur of the moment gift. So I haven’t purchased more, but plan to. I’m inclined to use it directly on my skin first to try out. I would use it in soap if it adds to the particular soap’s profile. So I don’t have a report now. Like The Gecko, I like the idea of not just cleansing soap, but soap having a purpose. I definitely use inexpensive oils too, but in my opinion combinations of ingredients give soaps a purpose, not just a pretty bar. Everyone has their own ideas.

Cover Your slang term for butt
Thank You Gecko. Sometimes it just has to be written out for me. 😁 .

Have you tried rosehip seed oil in your soaps? ... very pricey.. but curious what u thought about it if you have. I’ve been tossing around getting it at some point. 😊
Rosehip oil is very high in Linolenic and Linoleic acids which could make your soap very prone to DOS and it is also a short shelf life oil. Even in lotions use in small batches. Soap can only be advertised as a soap that cleanses. A soap that is called an exfoliating soap or skin lightening soap comes under the cosmetic category because it alters the skin and has to be fully and properly labeled. Soap does not have to be labeled.

If you think you have the magic soap that cures such and such you have to go through long very expensive testing to the tune of thousands and thousands of dollars to prove it does what you say then get FDA approval as a drug.

Gecko only mentions thinking it possible to mention the possible properties of some ingredients, but it truly is a fine line.

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned but as someone who is studying to become a holistic consultant, they can market like this as long as they also have a disclaimer. For example, " oatmeal is know to soothe the skin... I am not claiming to treat, prevent, or cure any illnesses, consult with your doctor before use if you have any serious health concerns, etc. This product is not FDA approved." People really do have to be careful when making claims like that, better to be safe than sorry!

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned but as someone who is studying to become a holistic consultant, they can market like this as long as they also have a disclaimer. For example, " oatmeal is know to soothe the skin... I am not claiming to treat, prevent, or cure any illnesses, consult with your doctor before use if you have any serious health concerns, etc. This product is not FDA approved." People really do have to be careful when making claims like that, better to be safe than sorry!

While the US has some fairly easy laws when it comes to “true” Soap...no, you cant tell people that, and yes, I see it all the time on You Tube.

ETA: When asked about my ingredients, I keep it simple...my Palm Oil is responsibly and sustainably produced, and I use natural Cocoa and Shea Butters; natural being that they haven’t been refined or deodorized. My scents and colorants are of high quality and purchased from reputable sources.

I will tell folks that because my soap hasn’t been mechanically pressed into bar, or had the glycerin removed that it will soften in left in standing water. And because of the glycerin, they won't have that same “squeaky clean” feelIng which is actually the result of striping all the natural oils from your soap. My soap cleans without stripping.

Last edited:
Coming late to this thread, I know...
And because of the glycerin, they won't have that same “squeaky clean” feeling which is actually the result of striping all the natural oils from your soap. My soap cleans without stripping.
I like the way you put that. I confess that I do make one claim about our soap:
"We do not remove the glycerin, so it won't dry out your skin like commercial soaps, even if you need to wash a lot."
I think our claim is logically defensible, because glycerin is a humectant (moisturizing). But your wording sounds pretty nice.

I like the way you put that. I confess that I do make one claim about our soap: "We do not remove the glycerin, so it won't dry out your skin like commercial soaps, even if you need to wash a lot." I think our claim is logically defensible, because glycerin is a humectant (moisturizing). But your wording sounds pretty nice.

I meant to say, 'stripping all the natural oils from your SKIN'.

But yeah, trying to find the right words to explain why someone should pay $5.00 - $7.00 for a single bar of your soap when they can purchase an 8-pack of whatever for $3.39 at Wally-World that doesn't put you in hot water with the FPLA and FDA is not easy. As I see it, while a well-formulated bar of handcrafted soap is naturally moisturizing, at the end of the day it's still just soap. For me to put 'moisturizing' on the label would indicate that I have done something different, that I have added to it...which I haven't. All I've done is NOT take something away...glycerin.

Latest posts

Back