Ques. about slats and swirling in a wooden slab mold (w/pic)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghengis151

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just purchased a wooden slab mold without the dividers. I love to incorporate swirls into my soaps. I notice though, with my soaps, I can only get the swirled effect on the top layer of my soaps. All the other sides have a globular/marbled look.

My question is: if I get the slats, and push down on the poured soap, will the slats help push down and/or spread the colored layers so that I can get a more swirled effect on all sides of the soap besides the top? Has anyone had any experience with this problem? Any remedies/ solutions?
-Rick

soappt3011nx5.jpg

Re: Question about slats and swirling in a wooden slab mold

ghengis151 said:
Hi everyone. I just purchased a wooden slab mold without the dividers. I love to incorporate swirls into my soaps. I notice though, with my soaps, I can only get the swirled effect on the top layer of my soaps. All the other sides have a globular/marbled look.

My question is: if I get the slats, and push down on the poured soap, will the slats help push down and/or spread the colored layers so that I can get a more swirled effect on all sides of the soap besides the top? Has anyone had any experience with this problem? Any remedies/ solutions?
-Rick

Yes I believe that pusing the slats down will help the swirl out quite a bit! :)

beautiful!!!

No problem~!!!

What kind of soap is that?? I like the swirl a lot!! Im still working on my technique a bit hoping Ill have a batch turn out as nice as that! Most of the ones Ive done so far just kind of look like blobs of color on either side with a teensy tiny bit of swirl action going on lol..

I like yours better!!....

Great job!! :)

Yes, very pretty! Adding the HDPE dividers will help pull the swirl down to the bottom. I just did a swirl in my slab mold and the swirl went completely through to the bottom.

DSCF3290-1.jpg

DSCF3292.jpg

I'll take a pic of the back of the bars and show you. Pour at thin trace from about 12 inches away from the slab, and the coloured batter will sink to the bottom, then pour a little closer to the surface and they will not sink.

Paul :wink:

I think they look very beautiful the way they are, even the sides.

IanT said:
No problem~!!!

What kind of soap is that?? I like the swirl a lot!! Im still working on my technique a bit hoping Ill have a batch turn out as nice as that! Most of the ones Ive done so far just kind of look like blobs of color on either side with a teensy tiny bit of swirl action going on lol..

I like yours better!!....

Great job!! :)

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I used ~1tbsp titanium dioxide and ultramarine blue pigment powder. This was scented with lemon verbena eo. Upon adding the eo, my entire mixture traced really fast. you can find the recipe under my other post about "waxy feeling need help." When adding the top layer, the blue was at a very thick trace. Like a tad thicker than ketchup. I used a plastic knife to run my lines. Good luck with your next batch.
-Rick

Soapmaker Man said:
Yes, very pretty! Adding the HDPE dividers will help pull the swirl down to the bottom. I just did a swirl in my slab mold and the swirl went completely through to the bottom.

DSCF3290-1.jpg

DSCF3292.jpg

I'll take a pic of the back of the bars and show you. Pour at thin trace from about 12 inches away from the slab, and the coloured batter will sink to the bottom, then pour a little closer to the surface and they will not sink.

Paul :wink:
Awesome pics Paul. I can't wait for the slats.
-Rick

Rick - those soaps are so purty that I would not care if I felt like a candle when I got out of the shower. :lol: I have such swirl envy.

Digit

Back