Queen of the Nile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend gave me a couple of recipes that she used to make (and sell) years ago. Both recipes came out of popular soapmaking books of the time. I ran both through a soap calc and one really wasn't a well balanced recipe; I won't be making that one but may use it as inpsiration at some point down the road. The other, Queen of the Nile soap, uses colloidal oatmeal, buttermilk, and honey. It calls for Wheat Germ oil, which I don't have on hand; I had to do some shopping and visited probably 5 of the major grocery stores in this town, including a health food store. Not one singe store carries wheat germ oil! I used to be able to get it anywhere; now I can't find it at all! Anyway, I subbed RBO for the wheat germ oil and went ahead with the soap. I used buttermilk powder (and forgot to add the extra water), local honey, and colloidal oatmeal. The recipe also has beeswax in it.

Long story short, it accelerated like crazy! I used the stick blender for just seconds (3 seconds maybe?), stirred with a silicone spoon, then poured into cavity molds. By the time I got to the third cavity, I was plopping it into the molds. Once the molds were filled, I poured the remainder into a small loaf mold and CPOP'ed the loaf. The loaf (which is more of a loaf shaped slab) looks more like HP soap (nothing wrong with that) and will be for personal use only. The others turned out ok but, wow, that was an adventure in soaping for sure!

20200928_081941_HDR.jpg

Well done! Love the look! "Queen of the Nile" doesn't quite fit, although I "get it". I'd go with "Honey Bee Good" or something similar. People are drawn to products made with Bee-related additives.

Actually, I thought this thread would be about an FO of that name carried by Oregon Trail. One of the nicest scents ever.

Wheat Germ Oil was popular back in the late 70s/early 80s.

Bulk Apothecary carries it, you can order online through Walmart...and you might want to check your local 'farm' store since it appears to be good for horses.

I'd eliminate the beeswax next time. But it looks good.

Really cute molds! I bought some beeswax to try several months ago but have been afraid to use it. What percentage did you use?
It was at 3%; in this case, 30 grams.

Wheat Germ Oil was popular back in the late 70s/early 80s.

Bulk Apothecary carries it, you can order online through Walmart...and you might want to check your local 'farm' store since it appears to be good for horses.

I'd eliminate the beeswax next time. But it looks good.

I can order it through Canadian suppliers as well but I won't bother. Besides, I wanted to make the recipe yesterday; patience isn't always my strong suit. As for the beeswax, I don't normally soap with it but, as it was in the recipe, I thought I'd try it. I doubt I'll use it in soap again.

Well done! Love the look! "Queen of the Nile" doesn't quite fit, although I "get it". I'd go with "Honey Bee Good" or something similar. People are drawn to products made with Bee-related additives.

Actually, I thought this thread would be about an FO of that name carried by Oregon Trail. One of the nicest scents ever.
I agree on the name. It's more like an Oatmeal, Milk & Honey soap, which I already make. I didn't realize there was an FO with that name. I agonized over the fragrance and, in the end, went with one from Voyageur called Sensual Amber. I don't care for it OOB but it's nice in the soap.

I'd be surprised not to be able to find wheat germ oil, too, Misschief. Even here where most things are hard to find, the health food stores in the cities usually carry have it in stock. Although it sure is pricey in comparison to when I used it regularly as a supplement (in my youthful more hippy-ish days).

Due to the price, & that I don't use it as a supplement anymore, I figured it can't bring enough to soap to make it a worthwhile expense. So when I run across a recipe that calls for it, I move on or re-design the formula a bit.

They look great @Misschief.

@Jersey Girl I felt the same way about beeswax. I was afraid to try it, especially in CP. I was gifted some beeswax soap samples and I really liked them. So I finally used it, and of the two batches I've made didn't have any issues. I did soap warmer than I usually do, and didn't plan anything fancy. I had plenty of time to do an ITP swirl. I like the feel and lather of the soaps. Without looking, I'm pretty sure I used 3% beeswax.

I know it traced to mud quick for you but they still look great! It's RBO that I cannot find here. It's all you people talk about ( :) ) but it must be this super exotic thing here in my new land of Minneapolis.

I know it traced to mud quick for you but they still look great! It's RBO that I cannot find here. It's all you people talk about ( :) ) but it must be this super exotic thing here in my new land of Minneapolis.
Thanks Zing. I can get RBO in my local grocery stores. Almost all of them carry it now and I'm not in that big of a city.

I can’t find it in NJ either. I order it on Amazon for $17.99 shipped for a gallon. It’s more expensive than the Costco olive oil, but I like it in small percentages. If I use it it’s at 15%. It brings a nice quality to the soap. It’s a silky feel imo.

It's RBO that I cannot find here. It's all you people talk about ( :) ) but it must be this super exotic thing here in my new land of Minneapolis.

Zing, if you want to try RBO (& you don't really have to) a good source is Riceland. They sometimes have promotional sales with free shipping (not at the moment). Another is Amazon, where Riceland's RBO is the same price (here). With Amazon Prime, there is no shipping so you can get a gallon without paying the shipping.

Another possibility is Health Food stores and Vitamin shops; it is listed as a nutritional supplement in some of those places, although I don't quite get why. The cost would be higher, but if you only want to test it out, a smaller bottle might be better for evaluation purposes.

Zing, if you want to try RBO (& you don't really have to) a good source is Riceland. They sometimes have promotional sales with free shipping (not at the moment). Another is Amazon, where Riceland's RBO is the same price (here). With Amazon Prime, there is no shipping so you can get a gallon without paying the shipping.

Another possibility is Health Food stores and Vitamin shops; it is listed as a nutritional supplement in some of those places, although I don't quite get why. The cost would be higher, but if you only want to test it out, a smaller bottle might be better for evaluation purposes.
That’s the one I got through Amazon. (Riceland). I like it a lot but in small amounts. I find it odd that they stamp it with a 6 mos expiration date though. I ordered a gallon last March and it was stamped September. Just finished that up and ordered another one this month and it was stamped March 2021. Just the other day, after reading @Dawni thread about her rice soap I got out the only batch I made with a high amount of RBO. I had used 50% just to experiment. I made it about 5 months ago. Two bars each had one small hard to see spot of DOS. The only soap out of 122 batches I’ve made in the last 8 months I’ve had that happen to.
5C00FB7A-0955-4453-BA17-BBF5635DFFC7.jpeg

Oh no! Mine doesn't have a speck of DOS so far from that first batch I made. I have a couple of bars still. How unfortunate..

I haven't tried our local RBO for soaping - it costs more than the ones imported from Thailand pfft **insert rolling eyes emoji here** - but the one I use always is Ricea, if it helps anyone.

Oh no! Mine doesn't have a speck of DOS so far from that first batch I made. I have a couple of bars still. How unfortunate..

I haven't tried our local RBO for soaping - it costs more than the ones imported from Thailand pfft **insert rolling eyes emoji here** - but the one I use always is Ricea, if it helps anyone.

I was bummed but maybe it’s an issue with this particular brand. I bought it as it was the best price and I was just trying it out. It’s the biggest brand here in the US...maybe the only brand made here...I don’t know but yeah...that happened. 😓 So now I will probably just use it in smaller percentages because as I mentioned before I really like the quality it brings to a soap.

I use 30-35% RBO without issues. I have used both Riceland brand and Soapers Choice. The rare occasions I do get DOS, it's usually caused by something else - like hanging out at the market too long under fluorescent lighting, or that one FO that turns everything nasty.

Hardware stores start carrying Rice Bran oil about this time of year - for turkey fryers.

Any find that rbo at 25% or higher makes for a waxy feeling?

Latest posts

Back