Quarantine fun

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I thought I would have a little fun and try something new. They are charcoal soap with banana coconut FO. I am curious to see if they are any good at removing unwanted smells from your hands like, gas, garlic and so on. I thought of my favorite cartoons when I looked at the poured soap.

I know activated charcoal can remove smells from water and air but that charcoal is not a powder. So I don't know how this will work for that.

Attachments

• 20200422_105947_compress42.jpg
    20200422_105947_compress42.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20200422_105835_compress54.jpg
    20200422_105835_compress54.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 28
Soap made with coffee does a good job of removing odors from hands. I have some soap made with AC sitting at my kitchen sink, but never thought to check if it removes odors. I should go chop some onions and give it a try...

I know that they recommend sniffing coffee grounds in between different FO's.

I know that high quality carbon has a high level of microporosity and I am sure that there is some porosity in the powdered activated carbon but how much I am not sure.

I now wish I would have put some coffee grounds in the soap too. I will try that with my next adventure.

Looks good. I'm not a fan of scrubby bits in soap but coffee is great for a kitchen soap.

I go to the grocery store and find the darkest beans I can and grind them fine as possible. I like using vanilla or other highly discoloring FOs since the soap will get dark anyways.

If you like black licorice, a scrubby soap with anise eo or licorice fo also helps remove odors. A lot of fishermen use it to help get rid of the fishy stink.

Looks good. I'm not a fan of scrubby bits in soap but coffee is great for a kitchen soap.

I go to the grocery store and find the darkest beans I can and grind them fine as possible. I like using vanilla or other highly discoloring FOs since the soap will get dark anyways.

If you like black licorice, a scrubby soap with anise eo or licorice fo also helps remove odors. A lot of fishermen use it to help get rid of the fishy stink.
Great tips, thanks

I am going to do several different ones over the next few days. Today I did an extra fine pumice, tomorrow I am doing a walnut scrub, then a soy scrub, poppy seed, coffee, salt and loofah.

Nice work @Todd Ziegler Love the name too lol
Poppy seeds, coffee, salt and loofah are my favourites. I find fine pumice barely noticeable, while walnut can have a very intense scrubby feel. Curious to hear about your experience with soy!

Nice work @Todd Ziegler Love the name too lol
Poppy seeds, coffee, salt and loofah are my favourites. I find fine pumice barely noticeable, while walnut can have a very intense scrubby feel. Curious to hear about your experience with soy!
This is my first time using XF pumice so will see on that one. The soy was on sale for $3 for 5 lb so I got some. It is rather large grain size so I may chop it up a little. I'm using 1 inch pieces of loofah for individual soaps. I have fine & extra fine walnut so I may do 2.5lbs of each one.

This is my first time using XF pumice so will see on that one. The soy was on sale for $3 for 5 lb so I got some. It is rather large grain size so I may chop it up a little. I'm using 1 inch pieces of loofah for individual soaps. I have fine & extra fine walnut so I may do 2.5lbs of each one.

Shredded loofah is nice too.

Shredded loofah is nice too.
I just ordered the shredded loofah and I will try it when I get it. I grow loofahs and sell them but this year I am going to keep most of them for soap making.

Have you done a salt bar? If so would you mind pm'ing me a recipe and any advice. I have about 6 different varieties of salt and with XF, F, M and course grains in each variety. I have a lot of salt lol.

I just ordered the shredded loofah and I will try it when I get it. I grow loofahs and sell them but this year I am going to keep most of them for soap making.

Have you done a salt bar? If so would you mind pm'ing me a recipe and any advice. I have about 6 different varieties of salt and with XF, F, M and course grains in each variety. I have a lot of salt lol.
I've done lots of brine soap and have added salt to my recipes but have not done an official "salt bar" – at least I don't think I have. I am definitely keen to try it too though! :)

Latest posts

Back