Q: Witch Hazel / Tea Tree Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyRoo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been having a bit of a skin outbreak of pimples lately, and it made me think about trying to make some soap to help.

If I were to use Witch Hazel and Tea Tree Oil, for instance, how would you guys use them? I.E. What percentages etc.?

I am making the assumption that the WH would make up part of your water content, whereas TTO would be used in place of a fragrance?

Cheers,
Andy

Witch Hazel has alcohol in it and will likely seize your soap. Also, probably none properties would remain in the soap either. I use Tea Tree oil in soap and yes, it's your fragrance. I use at 3% or .50 oz PPO.

so, I sometimes buy witch hazel soaps in the store. Any idea how they might do it if it wouldn't be present in the finished soap? Or is there some special way you can get it to work, but it's generally just not worth the hassle?

It's probably just a marketing ploy. Just like those that list Goat's milk or any other additive. Its generally just label appeal. Doesn't mean it does anything.

The innocent rose-coloured glasses wearing child in me wants to believe that would be illegal under false advertising rules in the UK. Maybe I'm just really naive. I wonder if there's a way to get the soap tested afterwards to see if anything has actually survived... 🤔

The innocent rose-coloured glasses wearing child in me wants to believe that would be illegal under false advertising rules in the UK. Maybe I'm just really naive. I wonder if there's a way to get the soap tested afterwards to see if anything has actually survived... 🤔

That I don't know. It comes down to don't believe everything you read. Example, I use shea butter in my soap. Does much last through the lye monster, I have no idea. But, it adds label appeal to purchasers. Just like Dove claims 1/4 moisturizing cream, it contains no moisturizing cream at all.

It's also possible that what you are seeing is not actually "soap" but a detergent-based "facial bar." The other possibility is that they are using dehydrated witch hazel bark or leaf powder.

A very popular soap bar in the US for helping with acne is activated charcoal and tea-tree. Even though it can't legally be advertised as an acne-fighting soap, people swear by it. The bonus is that activated charcoal powder is pretty inexpensive and much easier to come by than witch hazel powder. It makes a nice grey or black color in the soap, as well.

It's also possible that what you are seeing is not actually "soap" but a detergent-based "facial bar." The other possibility is that they are using dehydrated witch hazel bark or leaf powder.

A very popular soap bar in the US for helping with acne is activated charcoal and tea-tree. Even though it can't legally be advertised as an acne-fighting soap, people swear by it. The bonus is that activated charcoal powder is pretty inexpensive and much easier to come by than witch hazel powder. It makes a nice grey or black color in the soap, as well.

This is actually to go into an activated charcoal bar with some tea tree oil. I hadn't considered whether or not it was a true soap... now I'm going to have to study the label before buying anymore. 🧐 😂

Maybe I'll just try making a small batch, and if I create a monster, I know not to try it again. I'm wondering if it might work if I 'boiled' the WH first to burn off the alcohol content... I'll have to get the cauldron out... 🧙‍♂️ 🦇 🔮

If you were able to procure witch hazel (the plant), you could do an oil infustion with it (if dried) and see if it helps. The extracts are usually water based and many of the toners have alcohol and other ingredients in them.

If you were able to procure witch hazel (the plant), you could do an oil infustion with it (if dried) and see if it helps. The extracts are usually water based and many of the toners have alcohol and other ingredients in them.

Ah, yes. I hadn't actually thought of that. I might have to investigate. There might even be an oil infused version you can buy... not sure.

I’ve found something called witch hazel extract when researching for lotion ingredients which doesn't contain alcohol. Some soapers in my country will use extracts like those to make witch hazel soap and I've seen extract like those in luxury commercial soaps so that's a possibility, too.

Well, I tried it by splitting the water content a few different ways. I wanted to try it with an oat milk base, so I added 1oz of with hazel to the oat milk and did it that way. No idea whether it survived the process, but the soap itself worked out.

Well, I tried it by splitting the water content a few different ways. I wanted to try it with an oat milk base, so I added 1oz of with hazel to the oat milk and did it that way. No idea whether it survived the process, but the soap itself worked out.
Did you find out if the witch hazel worked or on in the soap? How did you end up getting it so that you could use it?

Back