Q about using paraffin wax in with soy wax for tarts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herrenfam

Reaction score
i have a question: I have soy wax marketed specifically for wax tarts but I’m not impressed with the cold and hot throw of the EO I use at 6%. So I wanted to use some of the paraffin Art Minds (Michael’s craft store) as a mixer to increase the throw. But what is the proper calculation of paraffin to soy wax for this purpose?

Thank you!

I would think about changing your scent to FO before changing wax to a Michael's paraffin. Reason being is Michael's paraffin is a straight pillar paraffin, with no additives, so it will shrink a lot, will not hold much scent, (usually max load on a straight non-blended paraffin is around 2-3% load before it starts to seep out) and it just doesn't mix well with other waxes. You can by all means try it out but if you really want to stick with EO's and use a paraffin, look into a candle supplier that can provide a blended container paraffin. It will be much easier to work with (and cheaper by the oz than Michael's)

Most common blend is 70/30 soy/paraffin when doing a parasoy blend.

I have found that I just cannot get EO's to throw no matter what I do in wax. Either for melts, or candles. Others have had luck, I never have.

Oh my - thank you for noticing my mistake! I use candle science FO and Aztec candles FO. I tried EO and put those away pretty fast lol! I knew I shouldn’t have bought the paraffin wax but I’ll just have to find something I can do with it. Can you mix it for container candles or does the paraffin get too hot for a glass container?

Can you mix it for container candles or does the paraffin get too hot for a glass container?
Too hot, hard to wick, and will pull completely away from the glass walls of the jar. It's a pillar wax.

You can certainly experiment with the wax mixing with soy at different ratios. Who knows, maybe you'll be pleased with the results.

Yes, paraffin will change the wick needed. So you would need to wick down otherwise the jar will get way too hot. And I totally agree, I see all over the internet about people wanting to use EOs in candles. I started with EOs and have been making candles for over 30 years. Every couple of years I try EOs again just to see. No scent throw. And there is a reason for that. In most cases the EO molecule is too small and travels to the wick and burns. To smell a scent it needs to vaporize and not burn up.

Hope your next efforts are better :)

Latest posts

Back