Q about max % for fragrance oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DucknBear Gracie

Reaction score
Hellooo everyone
I have a blueberry fragrance that I'd like to use in a soap - However when I checked the IFRA document for the max % it said 58%!!! Does anyone know a more sensible suggestion for how much I should use? I haven't dabbled much in fragrance oils so I don't know how much is a reasonable amount - for essential oils the max % is normally around 3% - However I'm worried as this one is so high, using so little would mean it wouldn't have much scent - That's just a guess though, I'd really appreciate some FO expert knowledge!!
Have a lovely day! <3 :)

p.s - I'm absolutely sure I checked the right class (9A) - all the classes were pretty high - I also got a honey fragrance oil from the same place and the max % for almost all the classes was around 3.5%, whereas for the blueberry it was anywhere from 13% for 58%!!

The IFRA document will list usage rates that safe for skin, which can be very different than what you would actually use. I use FO at a rate of .75 to 1 ounce per pound of oil (PPO), if that usage rate is within the IFRA guidelines. This is roughly 5-6%.

Hellooo everyone
I have a blueberry fragrance that I'd like to use in a soap - However when I checked the IFRA document for the max % it said 58%!!! Does anyone know a more sensible suggestion for how much I should use? I haven't dabbled much in fragrance oils so I don't know how much is a reasonable amount - for essential oils the max % is normally around 3% - However I'm worried as this one is so high, using so little would mean it wouldn't have much scent - That's just a guess though, I'd really appreciate some FO expert knowledge!!
Have a lovely day! <3 :)

p.s - I'm absolutely sure I checked the right class (9A) - all the classes were pretty high - I also got a honey fragrance oil from the same place and the max % for almost all the classes was around 3.5%, whereas for the blueberry it was anywhere from 13% for 58%!!

Since you are in the UK, you should check what the maximum usage rate is acceptable for fragrances in soap. I believe I read here at SMF from other UK soapmakers, that it is 3%, however, don't take my word. Check with other UK soapmakers, CPSR certifiers, or regulations that you may find available for UK soapmakers. I do not live in the UK, therefore don't work within the parameters of UK regulations or guidelines, so am not well versed in what you would need to follow.

This video may have some useful information for you as related to the UK (look at about 2 minutes in, but you may enjoy the entire video):

More on CPSR: Safety Assessment Package Descriptions | The Soap Kitchen™

Latest posts

Back