Putting a wick in AFTER?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MihiriBubbles

Reaction score
Hello!
I'm pretty new at candle making. I'm making these cute lil pumpkin candles in a silicone mold, but since pumpkin needs to be upside down when I pour the wax into the mold, there doesn't seem to be a way to add a wick to the candle. (I hope that makes sense)
Is it possible to thread a wick through a novelty candle after the wax is all hardened up? I was hoping maybe I could heat up a needle to poke a hole through the candle, then thread the wick through, but I'm also worried I'll just make the wax crumble if I do this.
Any tips?
Thanks in advance!

Hello!
I'm pretty new at candle making. I'm making these cute lil pumpkin candles in a silicone mold, but since pumpkin needs to be upside down when I pour the wax into the mold, there doesn't seem to be a way to add a wick to the candle. (I hope that makes sense)
Is it possible to thread a wick through a novelty candle after the wax is all hardened up? I was hoping maybe I could heat up a needle to poke a hole through the candle, then thread the wick through, but I'm also worried I'll just make the wax crumble if I do this.
Any tips?
Thanks in advance!
First question - are you using pillar wax? If so this will not be a problem perhaps, but second question- what kind of silicone is it? is it the cheap clear/white silicone, or the pink soft pliable silicone?

If it's the cheap kind you will have slowly drill a hole in your finished hunk of wax and hope it gets in there straight.

If it's the soft pliable pink kind you can do one of two things - you can push a wick pin through where the wick will go and pour your wax around it. Once it's set, and ready to unmold, just pull the wick pin out, and then putt a tabbed wick in it. Or you can just wick the mold using the "jiffy wick" method.

I am out of town and don't have my pictures on this computer, so can't link pics to show you what I'm talking about, but it is doable if you have the right kind of silicone mold.
I do it all the time using the wick pin method.

@jcandleattic do you have any advice on this question?
Thanks @AliOop

First question - are you using pillar wax? If so this will not be a problem perhaps, but second question- what kind of silicone is it? is it the cheap clear/white silicone, or the pink soft pliable silicone?

If it's the cheap kind you will have slowly drill a hole in your finished hunk of wax and hope it gets in there straight.

If it's the soft pliable pink kind you can do one of two things - you can push a wick pin through where the wick will go and pour your wax around it. Once it's set, and ready to unmold, just pull the wick pin out, and then putt a tabbed wick in it. Or you can just wick the mold using the "jiffy wick" method.

I am out of town and don't have my pictures on this computer, so can't link pics to show you what I'm talking about, but it is doable if you have the right kind of silicone mold.
I do it all the time using the wick pin method.

Thanks @AliOop

I have both pilar wax and soy wax flakes. The mold I'm using the pink pliable kind.

I'll look up those methods, thank you for your help!

I have both pilar wax and soy wax flakes. The mold I'm using the pink pliable kind.

I'll look up those methods, thank you for your help!
I don't work with soy, so not sure how that would work, but you could always try it, but the pillar wax would work. You will have to poke relief holes with the pillar wax though no matter which technique you use, just keep that in mind.

I have seen someone who uses as skewer to poke through the wick and slide it through. This was actaully done for just wick testing purposes but i would imagine this could work for your purpose of popping the wick through after being unmolded.

Back