Put the soaping supplies down and step away!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDog

Reaction score
Here's how it's going today. Tried out a 2-color vanilla mint hidden feather swirl.

1. Spilled FO all over scale. Mopped it up, realized later it got under the scale too and ate some of the plastic.

2. Followed my usual procedure and melted the hard oils. I usually add in soft ones before the lye solution to bring down the temp, but forgot this time, adding the lye solution and them yelling "oh, $#!*"

3. Flustered, over poured olive oil by about half ounce. Hello, extra superfat!

4. Super flustered, I added my FO, forgetting to pour my second color out first to avoid it being colored by the vanillin in the FO.

5. Soldiering on, mixed color anyway, poured colors, did Taiwan swirl on top. Realized I forgot to do the hanger bit and had to destroy top to get feather.

Le sigh. At least I avoided lye spills.

I took care of the lye-spilling portion of the program today!
While masterbatching to make my soaping "easier", I spilled about a half pound of lye beads on my counter, and it proceeded to get stuck to EVERYTHING... yep, an hour and a half later, and I think it's all gone.... sigh...

I took care of the lye-spilling portion of the program today!
While masterbatching to make my soaping "easier", I spilled about a half pound of lye beads on my counter, and it proceeded to get stuck to EVERYTHING... yep, an hour and a half later, and I think it's all gone.... sigh...

ACK! I hope you did indeed get it all!

For anyone wondering, it turned out just fine. She's not the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's soap all the same.

I can sure sympathize. I have forgotten to add fragrance, got lost in technique when doing hidden swirl,. etc. One of these days I'll finish editing that video and get it up on you tube. Sounds like you have a great attitude about things going belly up. Good for you! Hope the extra super fat turns out to give you a great soap. Of course, if it does, you are going to have to back engineer it! :)

Here's how it's going today. Tried out a 2-color vanilla mint hidden feather swirl.

1. Spilled FO all over scale. Mopped it up, realized later it got under the scale too and ate some of the plastic.

2. Followed my usual procedure and melted the hard oils. I usually add in soft ones before the lye solution to bring down the temp, but forgot this time, adding the lye solution and them yelling "oh, $#!*"

3. Flustered, over poured olive oil by about half ounce. Hello, extra superfat!

4. Super flustered, I added my FO, forgetting to pour my second color out first to avoid it being colored by the vanillin in the FO.

5. Soldiering on, mixed color anyway, poured colors, did Taiwan swirl on top. Realized I forgot to do the hanger bit and had to destroy top to get feather.

Le sigh. At least I avoided lye spills.

Latest posts

Back