Purple Skies w/ Frosting🍦✨ First soap batch in a while, with interesting findings.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCorgi94

Reaction score
So I've always had trouble getting a super thin trace with my soaps because when I use the stick mixer, my mix will almost immediately go from oil + lye to medium trace. To test a theory of mine, I decided to see if I could reach thin trace by simply whisking for 5-10 minutes aaaand.... it seemed to have worked?? By some combination of my recipe, climate, or technique, I seemed to get to a point where I could lay streaks on top of the batter. The rest of the recipe seemed to go well, however the frosting did in fact use the stick mixer as part of my regular method. Sadly in the time it took to pipe the frosting on top of the batch, it was still too soft and some sunk in. I'd like to reach a happy medium (maybe reducing water content? Maybe spritzing half the soap batter with the stick mixer and whisking the rest of the way?) so that I can remedy this for next time.

I noticed that after making the soap, the soap seemed to weep liquid at the sides? I was thinking that maybe the soap hadn't reached trace after all, but the soap did in fact get to a point where it could be cut the next day, AND it passed the zap test so.... I'll do some more research and I'm open to feedback before I start handing it out or using it, but I'm still keen to find out more about this.

Either way, I'm happy with my embeds, and glitter techniques! But this is a photo gallery so here're some photos.

146981665_715826052414669_5571182962463892189_n.jpg

147460011_445333570242507_8533146441905137616_n.jpg

image0.jpg

Ultimately, not my greatest soap, but I learned a lot, and I'm keen to utilise what I've learned in the future!

Cool design. Is it an in the pot pour?

Thank you! Yes it is!! Here’s a pic of the batter all in the same pot before I poured it. I also have a tiktok here where I’m starting to upload my process if you’re keen to see that too

I think the frosting looks amazing! What scent did you go with?

I didn’t end up going with any scent actually :( I’ve just had awful luck with any soap with vanilla in it recently, and it’s so hard to get my usual no vanilla go-to recently (aftershave scented) that I just didn’t bother :/

Attachments

• EEFA8F66-CE1B-4787-8307-A8869BF35E64.jpeg
    EEFA8F66-CE1B-4787-8307-A8869BF35E64.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 4
Thank you! Yes it is!! Here’s a pic of the batter all in the same pot before I poured it. I also have a tiktok here where I’m starting to upload my process if you’re keen to see that too

I didn’t end up going with any scent actually :( I’ve just had awful luck with any soap with vanilla in it recently, and it’s so hard to get my usual no vanilla go-to recently (aftershave scented) that I just didn’t bother :/
Oh that's too bad! I will say though, that sometimes I just like an unscented bar of soap!

Back