Purity of "Instant Power Crystal Lye Drain Opener"?

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by rolfedh, May 24, 2017.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. May 24, 2017 #1

rolfedh

rolfedh

rolfedh

I ordered "Instant Power Crystal Lye Drain Opener" 100% lye from Walmart so I could get started quickly and inexpensively. Later, when I've worked out my technique, and am able to make gift-worthy soap, I'll switch to food-grade Lye. Based on the information I've gathered, the drain opener really is pure lye. Has anyone else tried this approach, and if you did, were there any issues?

2. May 24, 2017 #2

BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

I use a different brand from the hardware store. I know it's not completely pure as there are often clumps and sometimes even black specks that I have to fish out, but it does make soap. The "good" thing about potentially impure lye is that the worst that can happen is increased superfat - assuming we're talking about simple deterioration and not contamination with something completely different. It's safe.

That being said, I'm probably going to switch to food-grade lye after exhausting what I already have on hand. It's really not much more expensive.

rolfedh likes this.
  3. May 24, 2017 #3

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

I have been using Roebic, which I get at Lowe's. I have never had clumps or black specks. As a hobbyist, it's good size to be able to make an occasional small batch.

1495639421282.jpg

Iluminameluna, FreeBird and rolfedh like this.
  4. May 24, 2017 #4

Susie

Susie

Susie

Supporting Member

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    jewels621 and rolfedh like this.
  5. May 24, 2017 #5

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

The first lye I ever used was the Roebic brand crystal drain opener from Lowe's, whose ingredients on the label stated 100% sodium hydroxide. I used that without any problems for about the first year or 2 of my soapy endeavours until they stopped selling it in my area because of the meth-heads. I've also used Rooto brand drain opener (100% sodium hydroxide) from Ace with excellent results. I now order food-grade in bulk online.

IrishLass :)

6. May 24, 2017 #6

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I also use Roebic NaOH Lye (Crystal Drain Opener) pictured above by Artemis when I am traveling and did not bring enough of what I purchase cheaper online. Before finding an online source that I like (which is often Essential Depot, but I have used others as well), I found the Roebic at Tractor Supply Company. Where I live, and in most states where I have looked for it, I can always find it in a TSC, but it is not always available at many hardware stores, including Lowes or Home Depot. TSC has been the most consistent source for me when traveling.

I agree with Susie, that the Roebic drain opener lye is far more expensive than ED, even with shipping costs included. But for a beginning hobbiest, or someone who doesn't want to wait for a shipment, the 100% sodium hydroxide lye crystals in a drain opener works just fine.

Susie likes this.
  7. May 25, 2017 #7

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

What color is the lye? If it has blue looking stuff (crystal?) I would be weary....

It is so much cheaper to order online from a soap supplier that is food safe .... I order mine from NG 6 dollars for 2 pounds and 8 dollars shipping.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  8. May 25, 2017 #8

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

It has always been white every time I've used it. I have never seen blue crystals.

And there really is no need to use food safe NaOH in soap, although I know it's all that some of the suppliers sell. Unless you intend to eat your soap.

Kari Howie, Nanette and Ladka like this.
  9. May 25, 2017 #9

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

^^^^^Ditto -- If it doesn't say 100% sodium hydroxide, pass on it. Otherwise, you're good to go.

FreeBird and Ladka like this.
  10. May 25, 2017 #10

Susie

Susie

Susie

Supporting Member

Roebic says "100% Lye" on one side, and sodium hydroxide on the other. It works perfectly well. But it is much more expensive than ED. And ED runs sales on NaOH fairly frequently, so you can get larger amounts.

If you use enough NaOH to justify the cost, The Lye Guy would be your next level supplier.

https://www.thelyeguy.com/store.php

11. May 25, 2017 #11

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

SunRiseArts

Oh Ok. One time I bought one that had blue stuff on it. I threw it away .... it could have been more like drano? Not sure. I just like to be on the safe side.

12. Jan 17, 2020 #12

jaimiefenn

jaimiefenn

jaimiefenn

Its says 100% lye in the bottle. I read on the website it can be used for soaps too. Havent tries it yet but im going to.

13. Jan 17, 2020 #13

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

I buy Essential Depot Sodium Hydroxide via Amazon Prime. I was using Brambleberry’s, but needed up running low and wouldn’t be able to get it as soon as Prime. I now always keep a spare bottle on hand and reorder when I open it.

14. Jan 17, 2020 #14

Marebear

Marebear

Marebear

When I started making soap I ordered lye by the case from Ace Hardware. For the past 6 years I have been using 100% lye from The Boyer Corporation in La Grange, IL They sell in bulk or 12 - 2 lb containers in a case. I trust their quality

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  15. Jan 17, 2020 #15

bookreader451

bookreader451

bookreader451

Supporting Member

I go back and forth between WSP and Amazon. I have never used lye from the hardware, mostly because I never thought of it.

16. Jan 17, 2020 #16

Kiti Williams

Kiti Williams

Kiti Williams

I started out with Roebic as well. I found that the price was prohibitive, as I wanted to make a bunch of soap and bottle was 14.99! I had more Lye at a lower price from Bulk Apothecary.

17. Jan 17, 2020 #17

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

I totally agree, Boyers is the best! Unfortunately, since I'm no longer selling, their minimum is out of my league and probably for other hobbyists as well. :(

18. Jan 22, 2020 #18

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Mobjack Bay

Supporting Member

I just switched from the hardware store variety to food grade from ED ordered through Amazon. The hardware store brand always has small dark chunks that I pick out as best I can. I remember checking the specs when I first started and thought the purity was acceptable/high, but I’m not convinced after using the product. The ED lye is perfectly clean and uniform. ED states a minimum purity of 96%, the price is reasonable, and I can have it within a few days of ordering.

Kari Howie likes this.
  19. Jan 27, 2020 #19

landj

landj

landj

So a few years back I bought lye, and it was labeled Sodium Carbonate Anhydrous (soda ash). Am I going to be able to use this for soap? Thanks for the help.

20. Jan 28, 2020 #20

Kiti Williams

Kiti Williams

Kiti Williams

Yes, but you will get liquid soap paste from it. Soda Ash, or Potash is weaker than Potassium Hydroxide. The others can correct me if I am wrong about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted