Pure Canola Oil Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, as I only made two bars of each, and they turned out usable, and I used leftover oil, I am happy with it :)
I was under the impression that these "castilikes" need a year-long cure to bring out their full potential, so I took a deep breath before making them, and am ready for another six months or so of curing.

I agree that the 90/10 olive castor is the best., would love to hear about your experience with canola!

(BTW- I now recall that I did make a 100% soft oil soap in the past, which was either canola or sunflower, but not with Zany's recipe. As others said, it didn't turn out very well, so I ended up adding some water to it and using it for the kitchen sink. It worked great, and no soap was wasted).

Last edited:
I was under the impression that these "castilikes" need a year-long cure to bring out their full potential, so I took a deep breath before making them, and am ready for another six months or so of curing.
"Castiles need a year-long cure" is an urban legend, or more correctly, a forum legend. When I first joined a forum in 2004, the cure time for castiles was 12 weeks/3 months (and still is). Some time later, a soaper announced she was going to make her castiles at the beginning of the year in order to be ready for the holiday season. Others followed her lead. Then it became a mantra, "castiles need a year to cure." Nonsense. I and many other old-timers know the difference between a 3-month cure and a year-long cure is minimal at best. :)
UNMOLD in 12-24 hours
CUT Day 2
CURE Ready to ship in 2 weeks. 6 weeks is best. The longer the cure the better the soap.
Go back and read the intro again. ZNSC not only has no slime but cures fairly quickly. I start using a bar at the 2-week mark with no negative results. :nodding:

It has been about five or six months... the results so far are:

Olive (100)- nice bubbles, quite stable but small, feels a bit dry-draggy on the skin (might improve with curing).
olive (90) castor (10)- more stable, bigger bubbles, very soothing to the skin
jojoba (90) castor (10)- very nice soap, great suds and feels good.
jojoba 100- feels slimy, hardly any suds
Almond (100)- same as jojoba 100, not as slimy but hardly any suds.
Interesting results -- especially using jojoba (pricey! LOL) It would be great if you could post your experiments and results in a new thread, linked back to the original ZNSC. That would help others who may be thinking along the same lines. :thumbs: :)

ETA: Also, the topic of this thread is "Pure Canola Oil Soap" and your comments about ZNSC will get buried here. ;)

Last edited:
Castiles need a year-long cure" is an urban legend, or more correctly, a forum legend. When I first joined a forum in 2004, the cure time for castiles was 12 weeks/3 months (and still is). Some time later, a soaper announced she was going to make her castiles at the beginning of the year in order to be ready for the holiday season. Others followed her lead. Then it became a mantra, "castiles need a year to cure." Nonsense. I and many other old-timers know the difference between a 3-month cure and a year-long cure is minimal at best. :)

Well, that definitely makes me feel stupid, but at the same time very happy (since I can use them right away!) 😁
So the "Legend of the forgotten soap" found in the a distant cupboard after years, presenting miraculous qualities, is just a legend, after all? :)

Interesting results -- especially using jojoba (pricey! LOL) It would be great if you could post your experiments and results in a new thread, linked back to the original ZNSC. That would help others who may be thinking along the same lines. :thumbs: :)

Thank you, that's the right way to do it, will absolutely do.

Back