Purchased a fragrance for soap - it came unlabeled. Legal?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I purchased a fragrance oil.
When I got my bottle it was round, had no label, name or ammount on it.
Is this legal? I must say it didn`t leave a good impression with me. Not sure what to do exactly. I have written to them so waiting for a reply.

My FOs are on sold by an Australian supplier. They have Bramble Berry written in the label, the scent name and that is it. No weight or anything. It's a glass jar so you can't check the weight.

In response to the original question, as it was sold in the EU I don't think it is legal. Yes, as its a fragrance oil the ingredients can just be listed as 'parfum', but it does require a name label, weight and batch number. The company selling it should also provide you with a msds, allergen declaration and ifra compliance statement on request. The EU regulations are strict and explicit about this. If the company won't provide you with those I would be wary of using it.

Norway is not part of the EU even though it obviously is in Europe geographically.

I'm aware that Norway are not in the EU, however it was sold by a company in the UK which is in the EU. I would imagine that most of their market is in the UK where they do need to be compliant with EU regulations. And if they were compliant why would they abandon labelling procedure for exporting to Norway?

Would the shop in the uk change a standard label specifically for shopping to Norway? Not sure that they get enough call to ship to non-eu countries.

Also do bear in mind that where some countries are not a member of the eu, they do sign up to a lot of the trade agreements so that they can trade more easily with the neighbors -

http://www.intertek.com/eu-cosmetic-regulation-and-attaining-compliance/

Third page.

Thanks TEG, I was about to look up how Norway handled cosmetic legislation with their membership of the EEA!

Believe it or not, it's more common than you think. They get the stuff in huge batches and then go through bottling it. It saves them time and materials if they know a product is being shipped where they don't have to follow the rules. Not to mention that with no regulation in Norway the odds of the regulation being enforced on that purchase is highly unlikely.

Thank you, all, for your feedback and answers, I have a very limited time on the computer today so am not able to answer all of you. But appreciate all your different input!:)

It's really better to avoid buying certain things from Ebay if you can help it. You would be better off paying more in shipping for a fragrance you want than to risk getting cheated or worse, a product that does harm to you or whoever uses your soap. You can put a price of a fragrance oil but you can not put a price tag on having and maintaining your health and safety.

I absolutely agree with you there, and it was my very first time purchasing a fragrance from ebay, but I only did it because they have a designated website, but the shipping going through ebay was cheaper. It is safe to say I am not repeating this again...
One thing is the silicone molds that I am not using for food but for soap, but this was a test trial, and it showed me I will continue to get things from more informative vendors.

For what it is worth they wrote me back today, and apologized, they were shocked they told me. I don`t know if that was a standard phrase..They said this wasn`t something they do at all, and ALL their bottles were going out labeled with information on fragrance name and weight/amount. But as I said, it was a one time thing for me. I smells great, but I won`t use it in my soap, I think I will do something else with it entirely.

My FOs are on sold by an Australian supplier. They have Bramble Berry written in the label, the scent name and that is it. No weight or anything. It's a glass jar so you can't check the weight.

Thanks for the information. Lol, at least you got a label with some info, I just got a simple plastic jar with no label or info whatsoever.

Would the shop in the uk change a standard label specifically for shopping to Norway? Not sure that they get enough call to ship to non-eu countries.

Also do bear in mind that where some countries are not a member of the eu, they do sign up to a lot of the trade agreements so that they can trade more easily with the neighbors -

http://www.intertek.com/eu-cosmetic-regulation-and-attaining-compliance/

Third page.

Thank you for the link TEG, I saved it and will read it later, I like info like that.
I mentioned a bit higher in the post that they wrote me back today, and apologized, and said this was completely out of their norm.

Well, I don`t know if that is true or not as I haven`t shopped with them before. But if this isn`t something they do usually, it may be a simple slip up. But I didn`t get a really detailed answer as such, but they said it wouldn`t happen again.
Their website has no data on the fragrances either so won`t buy from them again, especially since their fragrances seems to be direected especially towards candlemaking, but they say their fragrances can be used in soaps too.
I am no chemist, but I haven`t found anything during all my research of fragrances etc. that there are fragrances that will work equally well in both soaps and candles, as those two seems to have completely different take on skin safety of the ingredients.
But as I said, I am no chemist so I may be wrong.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Penelopejane have you tried the FOs from Aussie candle supplies and Natural candle supplies. I usually get my FO from here and their labels have name, amount in the bottle and also the max % for usage in products. Also they are decently priced and shipping's not so bad either

There are more than a few EO's that should not be used by pregnant women, that can cause photosensitization, lung reactions, and contact dermatitis, and have cautions for people with various physical conditions in various uses. They are not necessarily harmless even though they are "natural." Tisserand's "Essential Oil Safety" is a good reference.

There are more than a few EO's that should not be used by pregnant women, that can cause photosensitization, lung reactions, and contact dermatitis, and have cautions for people with various physical conditions in various uses. They are not necessarily harmless even though they are "natural." Tisserand's "Essential Oil Safety" is a good reference.

Tisserand is an excellent resource on EO safety. Grapefruit also can interfere with many prescription heart medications. My Mom has to be very careful with that. The thing about EO's (with the exception of uneducated on the subject people diffusing them in public airspaces) is that you know the ingredients and can generally avoid them if you must. More like a peanut allergy. The problem with FO's is that you have no clue what the ingredients are and there can be over 300 in one 'fragrance'. That is a chemical cocktail and potentially harmful to many. Especially when the contents are 'trade secrets' it becomes impossible for those effected to even learn specifically which ingredients are proving harmful. Instead they're under constant assault. It would be like someone with an airborne peanut allergy but almost everybody, everywhere they go, is using a peanut body lotion.

In the news:

Case of perfume causing repeated episodes of anaphylactic shock in a middle schooler: http://www.kens5.com/story/news/201...middle-schooler-perfume-and-cologne/79795448/

Case of cinnamon EO nearly killing a bunch of kids in a daycare just by being diffused: http://fox13now.com/2016/01/07/carb...are-caused-by-something-else-no-one-expected/

http://www.examiner.com/article/perfume-allergies-can-be-the-sweet-smell-of-death

We share airspace with others and unlike eating a peanut butter cookie, what people use and wear with FO's and EO's do effect others in a major way and 99% won't even be in a condition to tell you. They will quietly slink away trying to escape the assault. I know, because I do it daily trying to avoid the sometimes impossible to avoid asthma attack or migraine.

Bottom line: Fragrance is not just effecting the wearer! But everybody that comes across their airspace.

If you don't know ALL of the ingredients so you can evaluate it properly, you should consider not using it.

Tisserand is an excellent resource on EO safety. Grapefruit also can interfere with many prescription heart medications. My Mom has to be very careful with that. The thing about EO's (with the exception of uneducated on the subject people diffusing them in public airspaces) is that you know the ingredients and can generally avoid them if you must. More like a peanut allergy. The problem with FO's is that you have no clue what the ingredients are and there can be over 300 in one 'fragrance'. That is a chemical cocktail and potentially harmful to many. Especially when the contents are 'trade secrets' it becomes impossible for those effected to even learn specifically which ingredients are proving harmful. Instead they're under constant assault. It would be like someone with an airborne peanut allergy but almost everybody, everywhere they go, is using a peanut body lotion.

In the news:

Case of perfume causing repeated episodes of anaphylactic shock in a middle schooler: http://www.kens5.com/story/news/201...middle-schooler-perfume-and-cologne/79795448/

Case of cinnamon EO nearly killing a bunch of kids in a daycare just by being diffused: http://fox13now.com/2016/01/07/carb...are-caused-by-something-else-no-one-expected/

http://www.examiner.com/article/perfume-allergies-can-be-the-sweet-smell-of-death

We share airspace with others and unlike eating a peanut butter cookie, what people use and wear with FO's and EO's do effect others in a major way and 99% won't even be in a condition to tell you. They will quietly slink away trying to escape the assault. I know, because I do it daily trying to avoid the sometimes impossible to avoid asthma attack or migraine.

Bottom line: Fragrance is not just effecting the wearer! But everybody that comes across their airspace.

If you don't know ALL of the ingredients so you can evaluate it properly, you should consider not using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[/QUOTE]
I am no chemist, but I haven`t found anything during all my research of fragrances etc. that there are fragrances that will work equally well in both soaps and candles, as those two seems to have completely different take on skin safety of the ingredients.
But as I said, I am no chemist so I may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Chemistry is not going to help much when the ingredients are kept a secret!

I make both soaps and candles. From experience I can tell you that many fragrances do work equally well in soap and candles. Some of the candle fragrances are not skin safe and therefore not suitable for soap, but out of a dozen or so fragrances sold specifically for soap, all of them performed very well in candles. As a mater of fact they performed better, since acceleration is a moot point for candles.

(this part is more for American readers). The distributors I used were: Candlescience (they say if their fragrances are good for both or only for candles); Bramble Berry and Camden Grey. The last two sell their fragrances specifically for soap and they had no information on their use in candles. The FOs I had went all over the place in scent types (woodsy, floral, herbal, resiny, fruity, oceany, boozy.....) And all of them did great in soy candles.

Latest posts

Back