Pumpkin soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, this bad boy was a pain to deal with! it started out just fine, no funky additives, soaped at room temp. my colorants were annatto and turmeric infused olive oil and I used pleasingly pumpkin FO from NGS. When I stick blended in was fine but as soon as I poured it into the mold it started smoking. And then started turning hard in the mixing bowl. thankfully I just plop it into my small crockpot that's only used for soap and it melted up enough for me to put it back into my mold. I think it might have been my maylar liners maybe that did it but not sure. oh well, soap still turned out great and I now have more "wonderful" experience under my hat.

Attachments

• IMG_2623.JPG
    IMG_2623.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2625.JPG
    IMG_2625.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 47
I’ve never seen a soap smoke. I have had soap seize up though. Just left it in the pit until it started to gel then glopped it in the mold. I use quilters Mylar in the bottom of my slab mold.

Can I ask how cold your house is? I’ve never had a soap smoke, but have seen them get hot enough to produce steam.

Can I ask how cold your house is? I’ve never had a soap smoke, but have seen them get hot enough to produce steam.
You might be right, snowbell, it was probably steam! I do believe it was at least 40 to 30 degrees in my shed, so that was another factor. Thanks so much, I thought it was either the FO or my maylar sheets. I know from experience soapers that the maylar sheets are fine to use but I was just wondering if I had a faulty one because that was the only thing that I was doing different then usual.

Some fo's will get extremely hot no matter what temp you soap at. I have a Coconut fo I love but it just heats up to much to cp it, even using chilled bowls, molds utensils etc.
SoapSupplies.net has a wonderful pumpkin that soaps nice and only turns a pumpkin pie color. No acceleration at all

Back