Quantcast

Pumpkin Soap - Help

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Luckyone80

Reaction score
So I want to make a soap with pumpkin puree. My question is, do I use the pumpkin as part of the water or just make the soap as usual and add the pumpkin puree to the batter when mixing in the scent?

TVivian

Reaction score
I also deduct it from the water amount and add it either with the oils before the lye, or at trace with the fragrance. :)

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I too count it as part of my water and I add it to my oils and stick blend well.

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All purees become part of the total water amount, otherwise you will have way to much liquid. I stick blend any purees I use into the oils before adding in my lye

Luckyone80

Reaction score
So next question, what % do you use of the puree? 1/2 of the water amount or just whatever you want?

amd

Reaction score
I used 80% puree + 20% water in a HP batch just this weekend. Only problem was separating in the first 30 mins of cook but stick blended it back together and no issues after that. I don't know how it will react with cp... That's next on my "see what happens" list.

TVivian

Reaction score
If you used more - like say, half of the water amount - do you risk something nasty happening?

Pumpkin is really low in sugar, so I don't foresee anything going terribly wrong if you use it in high amounts. I use it mostly for color. To me, adding any purée adds a texture to the soap I wouldn't describe it as exfoliating, but it adds a tiny bit of a roughness which I don't care for.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pop my pumpkin soaps in the fridge just to make sure they don't overheat. I put milk in mine too so there is a fair amount of sugar going in...

Consuela

Reaction score
I was going to use coconut Milk. So I'll definitely have to fridge it.

Luckyone80

Reaction score
Well here is my pumpkin soap, the FO I used is actually Pumpkin Apple Butter.

Ingredients: OO, Lard, CO, Shea Butter, Castor and Beeswax
28 oz batch, used 3 oz of pumpkin puree and 7 oz water
I used TD to lighten the top layer. I didn't refrigerate as I usually like my soaps to gel and this one did heat up but don't think it gelled all the way through. When I cut it, the inside looked funny but not like a partial gel, can't figure it out actually.
In the first picture, the soap behind the one in front shows it better, it looks grainy but doesn't feel grainy, you can see what I'm talking about in the lighter layer.

PAB.jpg

Pumpkin Apple Butter Wet.jpg

Pumpkin Apple Butter Cut.jpg