Pumpkin soap for beginner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all
I need a little help with playing around with recipes. I’m planning on making a very simple Pumpkin soap, using either a very simple 3 oil Crisco or olive oil recipe that may include goat milk.
I have seen s number of recipes and was wondering.
Do I reduce my water ( goats milk) based on the amount of purée.

If I add dry ingredients like spices do I adjust for those .. if so how do I figure them in
Thanks so much for your help

I think a good standard is 1 tablespoon of puree per pound of oils. That that quantity, you don't need to adjust your goat's milk.

I like to use spices in my soap, but I don't actually measure. I shake the spice into the batter, blend, and sniff. Be aware that they will give the soap a slight scratchiness. I don't mind, but some do. I like to use cheap Dollar Tree spices - the nuances that make, say, a great baking cinnamon, are lost in soap, IMO.

If you want to measure, I'd say between .25 and .5 tsp of ground spices per pound of oils.

Agree 100% with dixiedragon on not altering your liquid for the spices. For adding puree, I usually adjust my liquids by how much puree I'm adding. Also, I like to add the puree in after trace. I usually just eyeball the spices and use some as a garnish on the top!! Have fun!!!

Last edited:
I don't adjust for puree either unless its super juicy, like cucumber then I just take a tbs or so of water out of the recipe.

You don't adjust for dry ingredients either unless you are premixing them with a fair amount of liquid.

Something like bentonite clay should be mixed smooth and it can take a lot of water. I just take the water needed out of the recipe.

Hello to all
I need a little help with playing around with recipes. I’m planning on making a very simple Pumpkin soap, using either a very simple 3 oil Crisco or olive oil recipe that may include goat milk.
I have seen s number of recipes and was wondering.
Do I reduce my water ( goats milk) based on the amount of purée.

If I add dry ingredients like spices do I adjust for those .. if so how do I figure them in
Thanks so much for your help

When making the Black Cherries soap (here), I found this very useful site that lists the amount of water in foods. Maybe you might find it or another reference you can find useful in determining how much water is replaced by your food.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/350652-percentage-of-water-in-fruits-vegetables/

Pumpkin is 90% water, but you can actually find the water content of pumpkin purée on the can if you buy it by the can. If you make the purée yourself, it's pretty easy to figure out the water content.

Personally, I would deduct the water content from the liquid being used for the lye solution. If you don't the soap can end up so fluid that it will take a long time to unmold and longer to be firm enough to cut and a long time to sufficiently cure. Of course that depends on how much purée you use in your soap.

Agree 100% with dixiedragon. You reduce your liquid by however much puree your using. I like to add the puree in after trace. I also just eyeball the spices and usually use as a garnish on the top!! Have fun!!!
Hi Amy thanks for the insight..just wondering you said you agree with dixiedragon but they said not to adjust the water for the purée?

Thanks for all your help everyone..I’ll post what happens later

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Amy thanks for the insight..just wondering you said you agree with dixiedragon but they said not to adjust the water for the purée?

Thanks for all your help everyone..I’ll post what happens later
So sorry, I meant that I agree with her suggestion on spices. Sometimes I sprinkle the spices throughout the batter, but when adding a substantial amount, I premix the spices in oil to help smooth out any possible chunks. I definitely adjust my liquids for the amount of puree I'm using!!

Last edited:
I use purees as liquid replacement. Since I normally soap 50/50 lye solution I use baby food purees, such as carrots, peas, squash, applesauce, etc or canned pumpkin as the remaining liquid replacement or if the puree is, such as avocado I will use enough distilled water to dilute my sorbitol and EDTA then add it to the puree to thin a little. Using purees and juices is just a progression of learning and finding out the method you like.

While BrambleBerry is not my favorite supplier of recipes this is a pretty good pumpkin soap tutorial. You can adjust the oils to your liking. https://www.soapqueen.com/?s=pumpkin+soap

Last edited:
I use purees as liquid replacement. Since I normally soap 50/50 lye solution I use baby food purees, such as carrots, peas, squash, applesauce, etc or canned pumpkin as the remaining liquid replacement or if the puree is, such as avocado I will use enough distilled water to dilute my sorbitol and EDTA then add it to the puree to thin a little. Using purees and juices is just a progression of learning and finding out the method you like.

While BrambleBerry is not my favorite supplier of recipes this is a pretty good pumpkin soap tutorial. You can adjust the oils to your liking. https://www.soapqueen.com/?s=pumpkin+soap
What is EDTA?

Latest posts

Back